center support bearing question

what is the proper procedure to check for play in a center bearing? how much play is allowed?

could a bad center bearing cause a wobble/shimmy. my problem is at 35-40 mph. then wobble goes away.

any tips on replacing it. does not look like to big of a job.

thanks happy summer!!

My test for the center bearing was to grab the driveshaft and see if I could shake it. Or put my foot on the driveshaft to check for movement.

The ones I have are mounted in rubber. I figured that if I could get movement in the rubber by hand or foot than the torque of the spinning driveshaft could do the same.

It is not a big deal to change. The shafts are a liitle heavy so having a helper or a couple of floor jacks will help.

Chasing wobble, bounce or vibration is a bitch!

Jim

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.

The movement should be almost nothing in my opinion.

Had one that doing the "foot' test moved the driveshaft about an inch.

Time for a new one. The rubber was just getting tired. The driveshaft on the truck in and out of the bearing were almost 5.5 feet long. I think it was starting a little whipping action.

Jim

Jim

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.

thanks guys. i am gonna check it this weekend.

checked out the center bearing today. i laid down underneath the driveshaft and pushed up on the shaft. the rubber squished about a 1/4 inch maybe a little less. does this mean its bad or just weak rubber? i was told they all move in the rubber just as long as the bearing is tight your good.

?????