Where can a guy find , steal or borrow and rear main seal install tool

getrdone

1985 E6 350 . rear main is leaking , The parts are all available BUT try to find a install tool is NOT .

I looked around today and have several friends ( mechanics at large truck shops) looking for a seal install tool but its looking like i may have to buy one .

Found one new for 491.00 NOT looking forward to buying a tool i am sure i will not be useing a lot. Does anyone know if a install tool for a cummins or cat will work? or where there might be a rental available? thanking you in advance , Jerry .

Edited by getrdone

Didnt see one on Ebay , But Monoco tool in oregon has them for about the same price . Does anyone know if the seal can be installed without the danged thing??

Just yesterday there was one on there and your right its gone. There has been one on there for two years and now that some one needs it its gone.I need one also but i use one that KW dealer has here when i need one.

glenn akers

Ive put them in on a E6 2 valve without a tool. It came with a wear sleeve and I jus used a flat plate to hit the sleeve in and a small hammer and drift to tap the seal in. I just used Vernier calipers to set the depth of the seal evenly, and I temporarily installed the flywheel to push the wear sleeve on enouugh. I havent had any trouble with them. Obviously a proper installer is very handy and fool proof but I couldnt get my hands on one in tome. As long as you're careful with the hammer and drift you will have no worries

thanks so much for the input , I called all around my area and there are none to be found , I guess well give it a try without and ill let you know the outcome , Mack parts man told me that there are two seals one with and one without speedy sleeve , i ordered both and will let you know what worked . thanks for the input fellers . Jerry .

well got her tore down this afternoon after dropping off a load , the rear seal was leaking BIG time , clutch had some broken springs and removing the old rear main and speedy seat was a little bit of a job , The speedy seat had a real nice groove in her and im sure that was the reason for the oil leak .the throw out bearing hose had come loose from the bearing and was not getting any grease . The plan tomorrow is to replace the clutch, clutch fork and bushings , throw out bearing rear main and oil pan gasket as well as a new compressor , Next ill be replacing the turbo with a Detroit 12- 7 60 series turbo and see how many H.P. i can get out of the old girl . We already turned up the pump and elliminated the puff stop, came off the turbo and went straight to 6 inch pipe and then immediatly to a 8 inch elbo and stack , One stack Mack heck Yeah .( Barks pretty good when i turn the dynatards on ) . I have been having a ball with this old cab over blowing the doors off new modern trucks pulling hills with my step deck , black smoke just a rolling out the stack LOL.I know these drivers are asking themselves ( what the heck is he running in that thing ) . If you live in the North west ( washington State) keep your eyes open for a brown MH 613 with a BIG black stack , Get R Done transport is on the side door . Just having a ball with this old Mack, Im very fortunate to have friends with a ton of knowledge and hands on experiance to help me with this project , A 1985 truck with less then 200,000 original miles on it is a gift all its own , Its a daily driver and earns just as much money as my 80,000.00 Peterbilt did sooo to say im happy is a understatement . I have great plans for this old DOG and ill be taking some pictures and keep you abrest of the project as we go along . Jerry .

• Like 1

Rear seal is in , its not all that hard , we made a install tool out of a piece of 1/2 inch plate , Cut it with a torch to same diameter as flywheel and then carefully drilled the three out of six holes to match the lay out on the flywheel . Started the speedy sleeve and seal and carefully turned the bolts 1/4 turn at a time removing the plate several times and measuring the seal . it went in pretty easy . Removed the tool we made and installed flywheel . the seal went in just a little more so we removed the flywheel one more time and checked the seal . It required a few more taps with a brass punch and it was a done deal . Hope this saves someone the cost of a almost 500.00 install tool . New clutch is in and waiting on new cross shaft today , then the tranny goes back in and the job will be done . Jerry .