Freightliner And Sterling For Sale Too?

In the announcement of Daimler's sale of Chrysler, CEO Dieter said that Daimler would become a manufacturer or premium vehicles. Freightliner and Sterling are not premium vehicles. Perhaps a hint that Freightliner and Sterling will be next on the auction block?

V*!>0 will probably buy them, then eliminate them to further monopolize the truck market.

"If You Can't Shift It Smoothly, You Shouldn't Be Driving It"

From what I understand, Daimler has no intention of dropping those brands. Unlike the Chrysler Group, Freightliner, Sterling, Thomas Bus, etc. acutally make them money, so they plan on keeping them. But, I could be wrong.

Just a bit of interesting info, the company that just bought Chrysler, Cerberus, also owns Blue Bird buses. Blue Bird's newest bus, the 2008 Vision, was designed by none other than Volvo :pat: (Its actually a really nice bus).

From what I understand, Daimler has no intention of dropping those brands. Unlike the Chrysler Group, Freightliner, Sterling, Thomas Bus, etc. acutally make them money, so they plan on keeping them. But, I could be wrong.

Right now I doubt that anyone is making money in the U.S. truck market- sales have tanked thanks to the '07 EPA regulations while the fixed costs of factories, etc. are still there. Volvo is doing OK because worldwide sales are making up for the sickly U.S. market. Unfortunately Volvo top management has pretty much confined the Bulldog to North America, so Mack hasn't been able to enjoy those robust worldwide sales, and is taking quite a beating. Freightliner and Sterling are primarily sold in the U.S. in the least profitable low end of the market, and are probably bleeding money like crazy at the moment. I suspect Daimler will unceremoniously dump them, perhaps keeping Western Star.

I understand that 07 engines put a HUGE dent in the truck market, but comparing the "Freightliner Group" to the "Chrysler Group", Freightliner is the stronger of the two. From my research and understanding, Freightlienr has a VERY strong presence in the over-the-road market, and Sterling has a great presence in the municipal market (especially here in PA, Penndot buys all Sterlings for thier single axle trucks). I'm guessing that Daimler will monitor sales and make a decision on what to do.

P.S. My info on Freightliner making Daimler money came from a Freightliner salesman.