Question: Fifth Wheel Setup?

Hello!

I've got another newbie question: Lots of US trucks have sliding fifth wheel mounts. Why would you like to slide the fifth wheel on your truck and what dou you take into account to set up the optimal fifth wheel position? Thanks in advance for your help, have a nice day

Paweł

Pawel, some trucks have sliding fifth wheels to distribute the weight of the loaded trailer onto the tractor. Here in NY State the front axle is allowed 12,000 pounds, the tandems 34,000 pounds and the position of the fifth wheel determines where the load goes. The further ahead, the more weght to steer axle.Trial and error tells you where it belongs. Good luck, Steve

OK - I understand the option of loading the front axle - thanks a lot for the answers! But then it puzzles me - why would anybody then, move the fifth wheel to the rear again? Is it because of the semitrailer layout (front overhang - I don't think this is a likely reason)? Putting a fixed fifth wheel in the front-most position would save some weight, so I guess there must be some good reason for a sliding fifth wheel - what would it be? Thanks in advance for the answers, have a nice day

Paweł

Because if you are pulling a shorter trailer, you've got to abide by the federal bridge law....and by sliding that 5th wheel all of the way to the rear, you stretch the wheelbase to allow a little more weight.

You might also haul a load that has front overhang and need a little extra swing, so you slide the 5th wheel back to allow the load to keep from hitting the cab.

Or you might hook to a step deck trailer without much clearance between the pin and the drop, so to keep the drive tires/mudflaps from hitting the trailer you have to slide it back.

There's probably more reasons out there....but you get the idea.

When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!