B53/673 wont run

Hi Guys,

I pulled my injector pump to fix some oil leaks, and after reinstalling it I can't get the engine started. I re-timed and primed the system per the book. Even tried the timing both ways- to both Nos. 1 & 6 cylinders just to make sure I had it timed correctly. I cracked the high pressure lines at the injectors and cranked a bit to bleed whatever air was in the lines- I do have fuel to the injectors. She fires sometimes when cranking, but never actually starts. Smokes like hell though. Whats wrong?

This a 673C engine with PSM (rotary) style pump.

Thanks,

Kevin

You are still off on timing.I have worked on them years ago when on the 864 V8 engine and can not remenber were the pump timing mark was. But sounds like it was on the rotor head inside of a window lining it to the end of the gap between a snap ring in the housing. This mark should be up when # one cyl is ready to fire. The mark on the flywheel should be lined up with its self when the rear valve cover is removed and rolling the engine over watch for valve over lap on # 6 then 1 is ready to fire.The valve over lap is found when the exhaust closes and the intake just starts to oipen. glenn

glenn akers

The timing mark on the pump is on when the flywheel is at 28deg BTC. I watched for the valve overlap as stated, and timed it there. When it wouldn't start, just for giggles, I tried it the other way as well- as in turned the crank one rev and back to the timing marks. It smokes and kinda fires the first way, nothing the second way. So I'm pretty sure it's timed to #1 cylinder. Is it possible that the flywheel timing marks are off?

Kevin