mystery truck

mike69mackman

when i used to run jersey on a regular basis. 01-05. I would see a green gmc crackerbox going out i78 on a fairly regular trip pulling a green covered flatbed. Someone said he was from the somerset pa area. Was wondering if anyone knows who this person is/was. I would like to ck this truck out sometime. Thanks mike.

I remember the truck you speak of, and spoke to the owner briefly a few times over the years, though did not know him very well. Seems I ran into him usually at the Citgo truck stop in Smithton, PA. or passed him somewhere on the PA turnpike every week. IIRC he was the original owner and the truck had a 238 Detroit Single drive and a 3-axle covered flatbed. I saw that truck regularly up until '05 or '06 then he upgraded to a single drive IH CO 9670 (same trailer) then after a couple years I never saw the truck or the man again.

Found this picture of the trailer hooked to the "new" IH, but couldn't find a pic of the Crackerbox...still a mystery.

post-2694-0-57310400-1333912615_thumb.jp

Gregg

The Crackerbox was on Ebay twice about 4-5 years ago. I've seen the GMC, and later the IH parked in his driveway on Rt 31 just east of Somerset, but I haven't been that way in a few years. It's possible he has retired as he appeared to be at least in his mid-60's from the few glimpses I've caught of him.

Underdog's pic is also a scene I witnessed a few times with the Crackerbox-climbing a hill on the PA Tpke. That looks like the eastbound side between Donegal and Somerset, maybe around the 100 mm near the old Laurel Mtn Tunnel.

Jim

I saw this truck (the Crackerbox) sitting in a wide spot on the eastbound side of the PA Pike,just west of somerset several times over a span of 5/years,there was a house nearby,so it makes sense...............i havent seen the truck in a few years now that i think of it,but i did talk to the driver/owner on several different occasions,usually at one of the service plazas...............................Mark

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

Allthough not the same Crackerbox in question,i found this picture on Hanks of a nice Crackerbox i used to see pretty regularly at Secondi Bros. truckstop in Milford,CT,,,,,,,,,prolly been 10 or more years since i last saw it,but it was way too nice for the scrapile (at least at the time)...........................Mark

post-5836-0-78203500-1334456883_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.