Reconned Enemy Intel...pay attention gentlemen

Shawn Barrett

This is interesting to see how this plays out with these trucks. A few years ago I remember when the government started making emissions mandates for all heavy truck manufacturers to abide by, by certain future dates. Caterpillar said in response basically "piss on your rules, we're taking our ball and going home" we've got enough market share in the world dealing with heavy off road equipment we don't need to worry about on-road diesel engines anymore and supposedly were going to be pulling the plug on future on-road diesel engines. Effectively ending how may years of successful on-road service thats been praised by so many?-Never added up.

Then out of the blue I see they are planning on "teaming up" with Navistar/International to produce the "ultimate" on-road diesel engines and trucks right around 2008- the info is readily available online...

Then I hear they have officially formed a new entity with people chosen by both companies to spearhead this plan. 2010

Now the latest news is that This whole venture has officially become a "subsidiary of Navistar". All the concepts that I have seen are simply Cat badged Internationals.

This is my impression. The companies collectively fired a shot over the bow of the trucking world with this announcement and the world yielded, people were curious....At least I was. People were cranked up to hear that Cat was building a truck....Then they found out actually Cat isn't the engine builder, Navistar is....That turned stomachs.

Now what I've seen so far is nothing more than rebadged Internationals. Seems like it was a unique opportunity for both companies to make a statement and do something impressive but as of right now looks like a classic badge engineering job and an attempt at fooling people into thinking they have something new and different and innovative....when really its just an old hat.

However I am still curious to see if this ever takes off at any rate, or if both companies call it a day and walk away.