Fiber glass hood fix'in

Rob,

here is the photo of the hood section that needs to be fixed. Since I am numb when it comes to body work I could use a little help.

Don't look like nuthin a little gorilla tape, and a waterbed patch kit cain't fix good enough.

There is not enough detail in the photo to get you a good start on a feasible repair. Need about six to eight inches each direction from the obvious damage from front and rear views.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Check out this link on youtube. Ive done more of this crap than I care to remember.This is a very simple video I stumbled upon about fiberglass repair and it illustrates the general processes involved.

First off, its going to get worse before it gets better. Rob is asking about the surrounding area because as you can see in the video you will have to reach out to the surrounding areas to get support for the repair area. Obviously the bigger the bad spot...the bigger the repair area will be overall around it. You will be working from the inside out. Once you gat a solid layer of fiberglass cloth and resin to make a base on the inside, you will be able to use a common body filler for the exterior if you so choose. The good thing here is...you can fudge it. There is no measure twice and cut once or you are screwed. If ya dont like the way it looks grind it out and start over.

The stuff makes me itchy just looking at it, but its a project you can do yourself at home without blowing alot of money. Remember to grind out and make a trough out of cracks in order to get the resin in and make a good repair. And the drilling out of the ends is simply a matter of finding the end of the crack, marking it and drilling it out so it cannot continue to grow in length. Just like rust repair, remove the cancer and start with fresh metal, same idea. Remove compromised material and replace with new. Dont be afraid to tear into the material, like 36 grit on the backside, the key is to rough up the material so the new stuff has something to bite into.

The fact that this is right on the edge is another curve ball. What I would do here is use masking tape on the outside to create a backstop and pile on the fiberglass sheets from the inside, get it good and thick out over the edge and then grind flush with the hood.