5th wheel placement?

Where is the best placement for a 5th wheel?

Its for a b model with a single rear axle, non air slide.

I think you can move it if you on bolt it and move it to a diff bolt pattern set.

Thanks Paul

Mount the latching point 4-6 inches forward of the centerline of the rear drive axle.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Where is the best placement for a 5th wheel?

Its for a b model with a single rear axle, non air slide.

I think you can move it if you on bolt it and move it to a diff bolt pattern set.

Thanks Paul

Wheelbase has a great deal to do with the fifth wheel pin setting of a single axle tractor. You are allowed 22,000, on the drive axle, and up to 12,000 on the steer. So the pin setting has to be far enough ahead of the axle center line to transfer some of the loaded weight to the steer axle. The longer the wheelbase, the more difficult to transfer the weight. At some point it won't matter because you can not get enough weight on the steer to make a difference. Understanding what limitations you are working with is important when hauling freight of any kind. Every rig is different and so is every load. As Rob has said 4 to 6 in. is a good rule of thumb. It is not as important with a hobby truck, as with a working rig.