Front engine support

leversole

Between two different parts manuals and several service manuals and my truck, I cannot figure out how the front engine mount mounts to the engine?

Any pictures?

Thanks

Should be a trunion mount with two bolts. One bolt on each side of the crankshaft. The engine is supported in the front by the front cover protruding through the mount.,

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Should be a trunion mount with two bolts. One bolt on each side of the crankshaft. The engine is supported in the front by the front cover protruding through the mount.,

Rob

Ahhhhh...dont know why there are no front cover pics in the parts manual! So all of the engines torque is handled by the transmission mounts?

Ahhhhh...dont know why there are no front cover pics in the parts manual! So all of the engines torque is handled by the transmission mounts?

Yes but they are called rear engine mounts in all the books.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

I took another look and see the timing cover has the "snout"...so I assume the front crank seal is behind the cover? ALso, how does the insulator work? It looks like it would "ride" on the damper hub?

Thanks!

I tool another look and see the timing cover has the "snout"...so I assume the front crank seal is behind the cover? ALso, how does the insulator work? It looks like it would "ride" on the damper hub?

Thanks!

Correct on both accounts. The trunion mount has a rubber liner that can and should be replaced when you take it apart. Barry has them readily available.

Rob

I am trying to figure out how to get more than one drive belt on this thing! I have a picture of an engine where the trunnion appears to be "closer" to the timing cover with longer ears than mine, wondering if there are parts that I can swap around to get another belt on mine...

I know that the original V-8 drove the water pump and alternator differently, and the engine was probably shorter...But I assume the the crossmember to radiator distance should be close to the same distance as a 6 cylinder truck with the small radiator...I know there is a black B-615 with a six cyninder running around PA somewhere, would like to get some pictures of his setup....no matter how much I teghten my belt, they still squeal on engine acceleration, and you know what that means! And on mine, I have to pull the damper out to get a new belt on!

Here is my setup...

post-6773-0-06234900-1326641172_thumb.jp

Here is a pic from the internet that shows a very different trunnion...

post-6773-0-81785300-1326641238.jpeg

It looks like you have the incorrect size fan belt installed also. It is riding deeper in the "V" groove than it should. Standard automotive vee belts are not as wide as their industial counterparts. A lot of power is lost if the belt is riding too low in the groove. The back of the belt should be even, or just higher than the edges of the sheave unless the sheave is just too worn out to be used any longer.

A single size "B" belt should carry no more than eight horsepower by itself. The average automobile mechanical fan draws in excess of 12 horsepower at high idle, a truck much more. Automobiles always used a little greater than an "A" series vee belt but not quite as large as a "B" series belt. I know what you mean with lack of clearance to change belts. It can be tough. I usually pull the grille shell, loosen the radiator mounting bolts, and pull the lower part of the radiator out from the truck letting it pivot on the upper bolts. There is enough flex in the hoses to allow this but it sure seems like a lot to change belts......

The original V8 engine's water pump is mechanically gear driven. Only the fan was belt driven and some of those were gear driven also. All the "Maxidyne" series engines I've been around have used two, or three vee belts to drive accessories.

Rob