How hard is it to convert wedge brakes to s cam? A buddy told me to take the spiders off and drums,shoes and hardware. An other one said to change the suspension with another cutoff would be easier. I think changing the spiders(bolt on back plates with the s cam setup) and new drums and shoes and hardware to make it safe is a good bet. Is it possible to do this? Any help will be appreciated.

If they're working OK, I'd stick with wedge brakes- Continental Baking had them in the 1970s and they worked pretty well. To switch to S-Cam I think you'll need the complete brake assembly from the backing plates out, the chambers and pushrods, and some hoses. Unless the mounts are already there, you'll have to weld up something to hold the chambers in place too. Maybe it would be easier to swap in a cutoff...

If they're working OK, I'd stick with wedge brakes- Continental Baking had them in the 1970s and they worked pretty well. To switch to S-Cam I think you'll need the complete brake assembly from the backing plates out, the chambers and pushrods, and some hoses. Unless the mounts are already there, you'll have to weld up something to hold the chambers in place too. Maybe it would be easier to swap in a cutoff...

I would get rid of those wedge brakes, change the spiders you will be better off, if those wedge brakes where any good there would be more on the road, find an old R-F model with the short S-cams that you ajust on top. i think B61Fred was changing his over to S-cam he might be able to tell you. Ron

Thanks for the info. I have a cutoff with walking beam suspension. It has the brake chamber mounts and hoses and release valves on it. If the drums aren't too bad I'll change them as well as the shoes. It pays to put new hardware in when removing the shoes. I found that out the hard way once. OK Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...