Diff Ratio And Speeds

Ya, I've spent a couple hours poking around in the junk a few years back. I went looking for a low air flag originally, which of course nothing left there had one. Pretty decent size yard of junk trucks, plus the large piles of cut offs and motors, tranny's. Then across the street is the field of "used" trucks(mostly fleet stuff) that they sell. Just about anything over there!

If you think you might wander over this way...let me know!

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

Herb, at last I've got the numbers off my rear end. They are ratio R 7.48. Other numbers are 11KH4159AP6 and CRD 117.63H.32. I've tried Adelmans and Watts but they are still looking. Dennis at OldMacks think he might be able to find one for me. I'll just keep looking. I've decided that if I'm going to all this cost and trouble I may as well hang out for something that will give me decent speed. e.g something in the 4's. Regards Graham

Herb, I just found out from the guys at Mack in Australia that my B model was originally delivered with a tandam drive rear end with an 8.24 ratio( that would have been bloody slow). Someone in the past fourty five years has converted her to a single drive. I thought she looked a little bit longer in the chassis than I remembered my original single drive unit. Never mind I'll keep her as a single dirve and save the wear and tear on the four extra tires. Regards Graham

Herb, I just found out from the guys at Mack in Australia that my B model was originally delivered with a tandam drive rear end with an 8.24 ratio( that would have been bloody slow).

Graham, some of us are still running (ha ha) around on 9.02's :P

I resurrected this out of the old forum and thanks to Tom for a good laugh;

From: fuzzybuzzard (Original Message) Sent: 26/04/2003 10:54 AM

Since all you Mack folks have had the good luck to survive most of the winter without hearing from me, I just thought I would end it tonight!! Got an update on my old "2 stack Mack with a shack on the back". Spent several weeks under the gal trying to stuff a 3 speed aux. trans up in the drive line. Lost about 48" of drive shaft in the process. But the graft finally took hold and now we have a B61 integral sleeper with a 10 speed duplex (1 to 1 in high), a Spicer 8035G aux (0.84 to 1 in overdrive) with a 4.00 to 1 rear end. Now I know this could have been accomplished by just changing the main trans but anybody could have done that. Besides, there wouldn't have been a 3rd stick poking up thru the floor - got to have that 3rd stick (its a mental thing you know). Talk about 170 horsepower going down the road!!! 60 mph at 1600 rpm (not good in a 55 mph state) and 71 mph at 1900 rpm. Had her up to 75 but the dogs eyes were watering so bad I couldn't read the tach (maybe that was MY eyes watering!) You could watch all the plastic truckers say - "What the hell is - was that!" Man, it was worth all the sliding around in the gravels getting all that mess put together, all the fab work, drive shaft work. And sitting in the captin's chair wondering which stick I'm suppose to grab next, life just don't get any better than this!

It would be super cool to see the speedo needle over there in the virgin numbers!

Thanks from Ignorant Ridge

Tom

Good on ya Tom. Regards, Rod.

Proud owner of;

1961 Mack B61 prime mover.

1981 International ACCO 1810C DualCab Fire Truck

Graham, I was going 36mph (60kph). Fantastic. Don't have to worry about speed cameras. I think the quad will give me a couple more mph than the duplex. Hope so! Rod

Proud owner of;

1961 Mack B61 prime mover.

1981 International ACCO 1810C DualCab Fire Truck