What Trans?

Jason N

Hello, Can anyone help with identifying this Transmission? It is supposed to be out of an 89 mack truck that is now gone. It has maxitorque stamped on the side and the only numbers he can find is on the right side 284KB5176 and on the left side 284KB5163-p2 and under that it looks like 92A650 arrow M1 It is an airshift model with a black round top handle and the selecter moving lever that goes side to side not up and down under it. I was guessing it to be a 2050 or 2060 but he can not locate any numbers other than the ones I gave to help I.D. it. Do these numbers mean anything or is there a certian place to look to find the correct numbers. I am still thinking about replacing my basic 5speed 1078. Any help would be great. Thanks

Hello, Can anyone help with identifying this Transmission? It is supposed to be out of an 89 mack truck that is now gone. It has maxitorque stamped on the side and the only numbers he can find is on the right side 284KB5176 and on the left side 284KB5163-p2 and under that it looks like 92A650 arrow M1 It is an airshift model with a black round top handle and the selecter moving lever that goes side to side not up and down under it. I was guessing it to be a 2050 or 2060 but he can not locate any numbers other than the ones I gave to help I.D. it. Do these numbers mean anything or is there a certian place to look to find the correct numbers. I am still thinking about replacing my basic 5speed 1078. Any help would be great. Thanks

There will be hand stamped numbers near the 284kb number your reference on the left side of the trans case. Post a photo if you can.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Thanks Rob for your reply. After scraping off 1/4 of grime I found X107A on it. Now the question is what is a fair price to pay for it. It has 470000 miles on it and no way to hear, see it run. Would this be a good replacement for my single axle dump with a 300hp to replace my straight 5 speed 1078? Thank you.

Thanks Rob for your reply. After scraping off 1/4 of grime I found X107A on it. Now the question is what is a fair price to pay for it. It has 470000 miles on it and no way to hear, see it run. Would this be a good replacement for my single axle dump with a 300hp to replace my straight 5 speed 1078? Thank you.

Yes it would be a fine trans. It is an air shifted single stick six speed trans that is a 1:1, (direct) trans. I do think it is older than 1989 however. If in good condition, it should be worth about $500.00 or so used but untested. Pull the top cover and look at the slider forks, gear tooth edges, and general cleanliness. If you can, swab the bottom of the case with a towel on a rod of some sort looking for excessive chips.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Rob, thanks for the quick and helpful reply. I ended up getting the transmission (X107) I did like you said and removed the two top covers and inside looked very clean. It still had a couple of inches of gear lube in the bottom. Truck was said to have 500,000 miles on it but the inside of trans looked very good, no chipped teeth, No shavings that I could find. Don't know what to look for with the shift forks but as far as I could tell other than the outside being quite dirty the inside looked very clean and felt very smooth when turning spline. This trans has a longer rear piece that then hooks up to the drive shaft. Also has a rear PTO ( with drive shaft) below on the rear. I was thinking (hoping) that I could remove the rear extender piece from the back of trans and use the one from my current 1078 also was hoping to use my newer style right side PTO. Without that rear longer piece the two trans measures the same from front to back so I would think drive shaft might not have to be modified. There Is also Two broken wires on the top of trans a black and white one that the sending unit looks like it got damaged it looks like it was plugged into the top of the rear cover (by the air shifter area) I am guessing they are to signal the backup lights. I know this is a lot of info all at once, but wanted to thank you for your help and see what you or anyone else thought. Am a little nervous about doing the swap seeing how big this thing is in person and not knowing that once it is in I might have to take it back out. Thanks again. -Jason

Rob, thanks for the quick and helpful reply. I ended up getting the transmission (X107) I did like you said and removed the two top covers and inside looked very clean. It still had a couple of inches of gear lube in the bottom. Truck was said to have 500,000 miles on it but the inside of trans looked very good, no chipped teeth, No shavings that I could find. Don't know what to look for with the shift forks but as far as I could tell other than the outside being quite dirty the inside looked very clean and felt very smooth when turning spline. This trans has a longer rear piece that then hooks up to the drive shaft. Also has a rear PTO ( with drive shaft) below on the rear. I was thinking (hoping) that I could remove the rear extender piece from the back of trans and use the one from my current 1078 also was hoping to use my newer style right side PTO. Without that rear longer piece the two trans measures the same from front to back so I would think drive shaft might not have to be modified. There Is also Two broken wires on the top of trans a black and white one that the sending unit looks like it got damaged it looks like it was plugged into the top of the rear cover (by the air shifter area) I am guessing they are to signal the backup lights. I know this is a lot of info all at once, but wanted to thank you for your help and see what you or anyone else thought. Am a little nervous about doing the swap seeing how big this thing is in person and not knowing that once it is in I might have to take it back out. Thanks again. -Jason

You will need to shorten the driveshaft about 8 inches; no way around it as the reduction gearing, and reverse takes place in the rear of the case. Glad it looks good inside. I really can't think of any other way to check one outside of the truck. If that truck has a countershaft PTO on the lower back end, I would be interested in it for one of my projects. A lot of folks like them, some do not but there are positives and negatives to everything.

If you could post a phot of the top of the trans covers I could identify the switch. I'm certain it is for the backup lamps but could be for a "torque limiter" that would only be engaged in the lowest gear ration of the transmission. This is so the engine doesn't hurt the transmission with a high torque rise and low gearing.

Rob