EXHAUST STUDS BREAKING ON 2005 AC-460P

FENCE1775

If you have studs broken off flush, or slightly protruding, lay a thick washer, with a smaller inside diameter over the broken stud, and mig weld the washer to the stud. Get enough weld on it to put some heat into the stud. Then weld a nut to the washer. Using a combination wrench , loosen gently at first, or loosen and tighten until it will move. If the weld breaks, do it again. You will have a better success rate than trying to hand drill a hardened stud while staying free of the threads. Even thinking about broken easy outs makes my head hurt.

• Like 1

I have the external style easy outs for use on any bolts that snap leaving enough protruding for these things to grab onto. I've always hated the internal ones that require drilling....never thought about welding a washer & nut to the broken bolt.....EXCELLENT idea!

51N7EFNSJ5L.jpg

Hell, even the act of welding the washer & nut to the bolt will heat up the bolt and might break it free...

Come to think of it, I did weld a bolt onto a plug after stripping the dang hole out trying to remove it from the F250's rear axle....resealed the rear diff cover and then couldn't get the stupid plug out to add the gear oil! :blush: I was about to drill & use an easy out, but was reluctant because I had JUST resealed the cover...and would have to remove it to ensure there weren't any metal shavings inside. That's when I saw my welder sitting in the corner of the garage.

I prefer the plugs with the external square that you can put a wrench on rather than these stupid ones that have the internal square drive....

post-1673-0-73922000-1320515995_thumb.jp

When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!