:D:SMOKIE-LFT:

:chili: I'm jazzed!! I went down and talked to the owner of the 1945 EH I was hoping to buy,and we worked out a deal on it,so I'm getting it after all. (Okay-I caved and agreed to the $1,500.00 he wants for it.) At least the rat rod monster won't be dining on it! I'm hoping to have it paid off and be able to go get it within the month.

I made a couple of decisions about the truck;

One-I'm going to leave it six volt and install two 6 volt batteries rather than making it 12 volts and going with a big 12 volt one. I've found a place I can get six volt 7" Halogen headlights for it. That way,if I decide to change over later I'll just have to figure out an alternator,change the light bulbs and re-route the cables and I'll have 12 volts. I think it's a positive ground system so I might have to reverse the amp gauge wires too. The original bumper's thrashed,so I'm thinking about running a '34 Ford bumper on it.

Two-Instead of installing a flatbed on it,I'm keeping the 5th wheel,and I now have a deal in the works for a flatbed trailer for it. The trailer's pretty long,so I might have it shortened a bit. It has Dayton wheels too. I'm still planning to build (Actually my brother Dutch will be doing most of the building of it.)a 2,000 pound capacity boom on the :mack1: ,right behind the cab,though.

After spending a little more time going over it I have some more questions about it.

Looking at the engine's right side pictures in the ads for this model,is the air compressor driven by gear off the crank or is it driven by fanbelt?

The spec's I'm reading say it was available with either a 5 speed or a Mono Shift 10 speed (optional);what I'm seeing in the truck is a 5 speed with a strange shift pattern and a Brownie with under/direct/over. Does the standard 5 speed have something different than the usual H pattern? The Brownie looks added in,but I'm not sure if the main box is original or not. I'm not well versed in :mack1: transmissions, :idunno: so I don't know for sure what I'm dealing with.

Also-does the EN354 engine have any weaknesses I need to know about? Anything I should do to make it live longer?I've been told about taking it to the governor and shifting,what's the highest RPM I should run it on the road,assuming good bearings etc? I'm really looking forward to getting this old truck on the road,and already have work lined up for it.

Anyway,any info,opinions,memories or comments you want to contribute would be much appreciated.

Speed

"Remember-ANY Gun Control is Unconstitutional!"
<!--sizeo:3--><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><i><b>MACK-E Model Registry # 36</b></i><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->

<a href="http://www.nvabatetravel.com/"target="_blank">http://www.nvabatetravel.com/</a>

Congratulations Speed! Way to go, you've certainly got a truck that creates some passion but it is a Mack after all! :clap:

Looking forward to welcoming you the E Model Registry. Hint hint! :lol::chili:

Cheers

Andy

:bulldog1:

Whatever rubs your buddah.

The Mack E Model Registry - 103 entries
The Mack A Model Registry - 14 entries

Congratulations Speed! Way to go, you've certainly got a truck that creates some passion but it is a Mack after all! :clap:

Looking forward to welcoming you the E Model Registry. Hint hint! :lol::chili:

Cheers

Andy

:bulldog1:

:SMOKIE-LFT:

Okay Andy;

What do I need to do to get into the registry,and what's the main purpose of it? And Thanks!-I'm really looking forward to putting that old :bulldog1: back on the road,even if it is in the private sector. :thumb:

Speed :SMOKIE-RT:

<!--sizeo:3--><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><i><b>MACK-E Model Registry # 36</b></i><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->

<a href="http://www.nvabatetravel.com/"target="_blank">http://www.nvabatetravel.com/</a>

Speed

All I need to enter you on the register is the chassis number of the truck and your name, address (town and state are fine) and any other contact details you may want to add.

The reason? What can be a better reason for letting the world know you own an E?! Just doing it as a historical record of preserved/surviving Es and hoping to help bring owners together. Plus you get the occassional email from me filled with something E-related (E News in more way than one!). Just something else to spread the love for old Macks.

You'll be entry 36 on the registry if you decide to list. At about 50 entries, the first published E registry will be made available in pdf format.

Cheers

Andy

Speed

All I need to enter you on the register is the chassis number of the truck and your name, address (town and state are fine) and any other contact details you may want to add.

The reason? What can be a better reason for letting the world know you own an E?! Just doing it as a historical record of preserved/surviving Es and hoping to help bring owners together. Plus you get the occassional email from me filled with something E-related (E News in more way than one!). Just something else to spread the love for old Macks.

You'll be entry 36 on the registry if you decide to list. At about 50 entries, the first published E registry will be made available in pdf format.

Cheers

Andy

Hi Andy;

Okay-here goes: :D

VIN#EH1S 3484

JAMES STEPP-REGISTRY MEMBER # 36

1261 7TH STREET

ELKO,NEVADA

PHONE # (775)-934-4760 CELL

sk8080hd@yahoo.com :SMOKIE-RT:

Thanks for the invite! :thumb:

Thanks James

Your truck is indeed number 36 on the registry. The VIN also coincides with what I know to be the 1945 "range" of numbers (although haven't confirmed first and last chassis for that or any year yet).

Cheers and many thanks. :thumb:

Andy

Thanks James

Your truck is indeed number 36 on the registry. The VIN also coincides with what I know to be the 1945 "range" of numbers (although haven't confirmed first and last chassis for that or any year yet).

Cheers and many thanks. :thumb:

Andy

Hi Andy;

Thanks for the confirmation. :thumb: I'd thought I sent my info to the E Registry string up at the top,so you can disregard my last message up there. :pat: I'm kinda puzzled about the title for my truck. I'm told it says this is a 1940 truck,not a 1945,but the ID number is still correct. All I can figure is that maybe it was actually made in 1940 and wasn't sold or delivered until 1945. Is this possiblle? Or maybe a mis-print on the title. I drove my '51 ford F-5 for 4 years before I realized the Motor Vehicles Dept. had titled it as a half ton,and not as a ton-and-a-half. (That explains why my insurance was so cheap!)

I doubt this year snafu would cause me any trouble unless something related to a difference in parts or assembly of parts from one to the other year came up. Is there a break down of the VIN,I'd be interested to know what each character represents in the VIN. I can guess the last 4 are the number of the truck. I know on my GMC I can tell where it was built,manufacture number sequence,whether it was a V-8 or a six,half or 3/4 ton,etc. from the VIN.

Speed

:SMOKIE-RT:

James

I'm planning on writing to the Mack Museum to get details of the how the Es were built, what chassis numbers were built when etc. I need to have that type of basic info available so that I can help those that ask me. I am far from being a E expert and there are heaps of people on here and at ATHS that will always know more than me! LOL.

Now, from memory (what I read in the Iconografix books) the 1 in your EH1S refers to one drive axle. However, I forget what the S is for and it could even mean two drive axles so...

Sorry I'm not of more help, some registry administrator I am! I'll get there. I reckon one of the guys on here will answer your question before I check the books at home tonight so you won't have to wait long.

Cheers

Andy

James

I'm planning on writing to the Mack Museum to get details of the how the Es were built, what chassis numbers were built when etc. I need to have that type of basic info available so that I can help those that ask me. I am far from being a E expert and there are heaps of people on here and at ATHS that will always know more than me! LOL.

Now, from memory (what I read in the Iconografix books) the 1 in your EH1S refers to one drive axle. However, I forget what the S is for and it could even mean two drive axles so...

Sorry I'm not of more help, some registry administrator I am! I'll get there. I reckon one of the guys on here will answer your question before I check the books at home tonight so you won't have to wait long.

Cheers

Andy

Thanks Andy;and you're doing great work as the registry administrator :thumb: !! Few of us have the stones to even pick up the gauntlet of leadership,so that puts you up the scale a good ways right out of the gate! Your efforts are very much appreciated. :clap: I'm sure we'll all learn a lot from the registry and this website,and have fun doing it.

BTW-my uncle came this close(I--I) to starting a cattle ranch in Australia in the late 60's-early 70's.

I don't know exactly why he didn't-he even took the whole family over on a vacation to look the place over.He loved it-the wife and kids said they'd get used to it...I think he decided to stay in Washington state until the kids were out of school,and by that time his money was committed to another business. Some day I'd like to go over and check it out,but that'll take way more "disposable income" than I think I'll ever have.

Speed