installing new stud

mack mhe9

had a shop break a left hand studd on the front, ive got alum, hubs got the old one out but no luck getting the new one in tryed heating the stud the press and the bfh but no luck. about 1/2 from seating to the hub, i dont wont to grind the hub, its not a big press i think 10 ton do i need a biger press? thanks

had a shop break a left hand studd on the front, ive got alum, hubs got the old one out but no luck getting the new one in tryed heating the stud the press and the bfh but no luck. about 1/2 from seating to the hub, i dont wont to grind the hub, its not a big press i think 10 ton do i need a biger press? thanks

If you have heated the stud, throw it away as the strength has been compromised. Get a new stud and set up your "C" type press applying all the pressure it will against the hub and stud. From the rear using either a large air hammer with a hammer bit, or BFH, impact the rear of the press just above the stud a few times. Try to tighten the press further, and repeat the process.

I borrow a guy's 10 ton unit and have had some tight ones in th past but have always managed to get by.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.