1968 Mack Fire Truck Power Steering

AvantiBob

Hello All,

I am new to the Mack Truck world, as I usually restore classic cars. I have a 1968 Mack CF-600 Fire Truck with a power steering problem. When I turn the steering wheel to the right the power steering is perfect, when I turn it to the left the power steering is gone. This creates a problem, as turning it to the left is almost impossible unless it is moving. I have the chassic manual and all records for the truck, but I have no idea on the steering specs or what the possible problem can be (I need some help in diagnosing this problem). Can anyone tell what to look for and what are some of the possible reasons for this problem. There seems to be no leakage of any fluids, although I have not checked any fluid levels since purchasing this truck. Thanks in advance. Bob Weir (aka: AvantiBob)

Sounds like the spool valve is not working properly?? It controls fluid direction as you turn wheel. If it hangs up, it will cause loss of power.

I'm no expert, but that seems the issue at hand.

Does it have power box or just power assist?

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"