2001 Ch613 Front End Shake

Have a 01 CH 613 day cab,E-7,10 speed eaton, 12 k front, 36k rear(company truck), truck is used as a low-boy,we also have a sister truck used as an end dump we both have the problem with a front end shake at around 52 mph. It is worse when loaded.we have 11r22.5 continental steer tires.mine has the bags in them the other has been spun balanced.we have been playing with the toe trying to get around 1/16 toe in.we have checked the front ends for loose parts and are not finding anything so I'm just wondering if any body else has had this issue we are at a loss at this point!!

Have a 01 CH 613 day cab,E-7,10 speed eaton, 12 k front, 36k rear(company truck), truck is used as a low-boy,we also have a sister truck used as an end dump we both have the problem with a front end shake at around 52 mph. It is worse when loaded.we have 11r22.5 continental steer tires.mine has the bags in them the other has been spun balanced.we have been playing with the toe trying to get around 1/16 toe in.we have checked the front ends for loose parts and are not finding anything so I'm just wondering if any body else has had this issue we are at a loss at this point!!

First thing is to get those Continental tires off of there!!!

I have had 3 sets of Continental steer tires over the years and they all start to bounce after around 50,000 miles. Frustrating because they do not show any signs of abnormal wear, they just bounce like broken belts inside. I always wear them out on the trailer and have never had a tire fail, but they sure do shake on the steer axle!

Gregg

We have had problems with Firestones on steer axles. Bridgestone R260's are what we are sticking with right now, but we just put on a set of Toyo that look like 260's on. Gonna see what they do. We had an 01' doing what you said and did all kinds of stuff to that truck. After a bunch of stuff didn't work, we jacked up the rear end and ran the the truck through a couple gears. there was a tire back there that was messed up. Took it off, driver told us we were wasting our time cuz there is no way a tire on the back could shake the steering wheel that bad. needless to say, that was 2 years ago and we haven't heard a word. Had a similar complaint on a Vision. That one needed the rear susp. rebushed. Just because the front shakes, doesn't mean the front is what needs attention. -Brad

• 2 weeks later...

I had a Pepsi company tractor with the exact same issue. First time it happened I thought the hood was coming off. Everything was tried from switching tires, balancing, you name it. Although I am retired now I know it is still in service with the same front end shake. I always thought the spindles were bad

Very dangerous at times and it happened at the same speed wierd

Edited by Tpm

If you have hub piloted wheels you might check the pilot area on the hub. If the wheels were left loose at some point they could have worn the pilot on the hub which will cause the wheels to not be mounted concentrically to the hub/axle spindle.

"Mebbe I'm too ugly and stupid to give up!"

• 1 month later...

Two new continental hrs2 tires were installed( against my will) but tire shop said a spin balance would take care of the shake. I was skeptical but I have driven for two days now empty and grossing up to 86k and it drives perfect!!! I think the problem with my old tires and the tires on the other truck is the liquid balance bags they put in the tires was two heavy. It sure seemed like a lot of liquid came out compared to the amount of weight that was added to my new tires!!

If you have hub piloted wheels you might check the pilot area on the hub. If the wheels were left loose at some point they could have worn the pilot on the hub which will cause the wheels to not be mounted concentrically to the hub/axle spindle.

I fixed this problem with a product called "Tru Balance". It consists of sleeves mounted on the wheel studs to keep the wheel and drum perfectly centered on the hub. Saved me from buying a new hub.