I will be soon adding a 2 line wet kit to my truck for use in a dump and lowboy setup :thumb:

all the older Macks I have driven with wet kits had the pto mounted to the pass side of the 6spd trans and the pump was mounted to the frame rail powered via a drive shaft. I have some used ptos at the yard that need nothing but some seals/orings and a air actuater on the PTO as it was manual before...

any tips from the experts on what I should or shouldent do to make the set up easy and reliable? this is my first time working with a PTO set up so besides working the levers and switchis on the dash this is all new to me B)

Trent

trent, you americans crack me up with your driveshafts,

A Chelsea pto with 60 litre pump will do, mounts on the left side of the gearbox, just clears the air tank, mine has the oil tank in a combination diesel tank on the right hand side, If you can incorporate it on the left hand side it will shorten the suction line to the pto. Get yout favourite alloy welder to weld in 340mm on your alloy round tank, should give plenty of oil. dont forget to put in a return line fitting in 3/4 bsp. Or if you are serious ,a tank mounted return filter.

I mounted the pto and hoist controls in a console behind the gearlever, taking air from the seat adjust to power up the system.

The hyd control valve bolts on on the right diesel tank support so my hoses are quite short.

I dont have any controls on the dash as I didnt want to drill any holes, right behind the gearlever is good as you can see out the mirrors when tripping the taildoor when spreading, The other option is to have the controls beside the seat so you can reach up from the ground if you want to operate it from outside, but beware of the seat suspension fouling the controls.

If you want pictures , sing out.

nigel. :chili:

Yeah, I would go with a piggyback pto/pump combo and leave the drive shaft out of the equation. I spec out almost 100% piggybacks setups for the new trucks we sell. (Muncie Power Products)

bmodel_logo.png
Barry - Watt's Truck Center Parts Manager and BMT Webmaster...1-888-304-MACK

ok I will look into the married units. I am welding threaded bungs to the pass side fuel tank this weekend. I will wait to order new lines after I chouse the Pto/pump set up. I like the filter idea as it will keep any dirt out of the tank. I was going to add a 3rd tank for hyd use but the limited space between the rear wheels and current duel 120 gal tanks is making me think about using that space for tool boxes or something more usefull.

what about a breather? will the stock fuel tank breather be to small??

thanks for the advice

Trent

I will check for that Dave. My truck currently has a 2 stick 6 speed, its not the factory installed trans, the build sheet says it came with a single stick 5 spd. I spoke with the 2nd owner of this truck recently and he said he had the 6 speed installed. hopefully the 6spd will have the gear as it was common in dump trucks???

The breather can be incorporated in your filler cap, try a UCC type chrome unit or something similar. A 1/8th bsp fitting is suficient to breath with, but if you are using your old diesel tank , then the standard one as fitted should do.

Make sure when you mate your pto up ,that there is some backlash in the geartrain,test bolt it up, connect the air and engage it, then try the output shaft to see how much movement you have, you can runwith just a PTO on and the hyd pump removed as the gearbox oil is contained within the PTO.

nigel :chili:

Since your truck is a tractor and not a dump, the side mount pto should be ok. You will need to leave the range/reverse lever in neutral and pick a gear for the other lever to have power to the pto. The problem with this pto on a dump truck is when you want to dump and spread, you can never match the speed of the truck with the speed of the hoist. Mack solved this problem with their own pto for the 6 speed. It mounts on the lower rear and has a drive shaft that runs from the front of the trans thru the counter shaft, so it gets power without the trans in gear. This allows you to pick the correct gear for spreading. I think this pto was made in three different ratios.

Since your truck is a tractor and not a dump, the side mount pto should be ok.  You will need to leave the range/reverse lever in neutral and pick a gear for the other lever to have power to the pto.  The problem with this pto on a dump truck is when you want to dump and spread, you can never match the speed of the truck with the speed of the hoist.  Mack solved this problem with their own pto for the 6 speed.  It mounts on the lower rear and has a drive shaft that runs from the front of the trans thru the counter shaft,  so it gets power without the trans in gear.  This allows you to pick the correct gear for spreading.  I think this pto was made in three different ratios.

thanks again for the help Dave and Nigel

I will just replace the stock breather with a new one as I found a check valve in it :pat:

thats exactly what I want Dave. my first gig driving a dump truck had this set up. I cant remember if you had to push the clutch in to engauge the PTO but I remember not having to be in gear to raise the dump body . It was great when delivering stone or dirt at someones resident where thay always ask to have it spread out to help them shovel less. The side mount was always fine when you just droped the load and thats that but your right 1st and 2nd was way to low to get the pto speed and 3rd is to hard onthe truck/clutch when spreading. when you say the shaft runs thru the trans. is this easly installed or does the trans need to be removed. I will ask my local PTO supply shop about this style setup.

Regards

trent