85 E-9 Water Temp Limit

24vman

hello, i have a 85 mack superliner with a 9 spd fuller trans, 38k rears. that runs as a lowboy truck, in overdrive boost usually hangs around 29-31 psi. the truck is geared pretty high, will run about 80mph. recent senario, it was pulling a long hill with about 10 ton on it, in overdrive at around 1700rpm, boost was at 30psi, exhuast was clean no smoke, then the water temp gauge slowly creeped in the 200-210 range. now i know with the inline six engines thats getting alittle warm. but what about the e-9's? what is ok as far as running temp on a hard hill.

thanks

hello, i have a 85 mack superliner with a 9 spd fuller trans, 38k rears. that runs as a lowboy truck, in overdrive boost usually hangs around 29-31 psi. the truck is geared pretty high, will run about 80mph. recent senario, it was pulling a long hill with about 10 ton on it, in overdrive at around 1700rpm, boost was at 30psi, exhuast was clean no smoke, then the water temp gauge slowly creeped in the 200-210 range. now i know with the inline six engines thats getting alittle warm. but what about the e-9's? what is ok as far as running temp on a hard hill.

thanks

if im not wrong i think your fan doesnt fully ingage until 212

thanks

I've seen em go as high as 220 no problem ,not saying thats right but have seen it ! Having said that I would venture to guess the rad has not been looked at for quite some time and the fan clutch on these did fail from time to time! So if it becomes a regular occurance I'd be leaning towards the clutch fan or stat's as it has come on rather fast! Unless the shut down comes on I'd not worry to much it may be as simple as a poor gauge or sender.

i'm gonna try blowin the radiator out and see if there alot of dust in there. see if that helps at all. i know these things are hard to get parts for. i would love to fix a simple problem be fore it gets ya know. thanks for all the info 24vman.