R Cab Question...? Tilting Cabs

Anyone ever notice how some of the older R cabs tilt a little to the back like the air ride ones when not aired up? My first thought was cab mounts are bad in the back but I was told on the truck I was looking at that it never had any rust , etc. and I didnt see any sign of any. Real nice looking 60's R.

Is that normal or something more into it?

Anyone ever notice how some of the older R cabs tilt a little to the back like the air ride ones when not aired up? My first thought was cab mounts are bad in the back but I was told on the truck I was looking at that it never had any rust , etc. and I didnt see any sign of any. Real nice looking 60's R.

Is that normal or something more into it?

Nature of the beast. They are built that way if not a Western.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

No,nothing really wrong,just age,vibration,metal fatigue over the yaers of use,seen many an R-models suffer this problem,good thing is,that its a relatively simple fix if it needs to be done.......Mark

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

No,nothing really wrong,just age,vibration,metal fatigue over the yaers of use,seen many an R-models suffer this problem,good thing is,that its a relatively simple fix if it needs to be done.......Mark

Yup, brand new R models in the 70's sat higher in the front end than the rear. When air ride cabs became more popular folks wanted them to be more level and they did not ride good when the leveling height valve was adjusted.

On the truck you have if you hike up the rear of the cab it will wear the rear of the hood panel due to gap closure. Take a look at the seam between the end of the hood, and front of the cowl. This gap should be equidistant all the way up from the bottom. If tighter at the bottom, the cab mounts in the rear have sagged/compressed. If tight at the top, your front cab mounts have compressed. I've seen the bearing surface of the cab support at the rear beat into a concave shape causing cab settle, but the truck was usually a very heavy spec dump truck used hard.

Wasn't too bad of looking truck if it's in your driveway. Green with red frame? Lettering should come off pretty easily.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

The gap by what you said is a little tighter at the bottom than the top , so im guessing the rear cab mounts hav compressed a little. Its not a big differance by the size of the cab , standing back maybe it looks worse than it is.

How hard is that to fix if it comes to it?