King Pins Ii

Got close! Didn't work THAT hard at it today, but I am within a cotter key of getting one side off...king pin came loose easily, thought backing plate would be a pain but it wasn't....this cotter pin may be a different story...the round end of the pin and the slot in the nut are one with rust, I cant get anything in there to grab it...been spraying with pentrant and tapping lightly...will come up with a new plan tomorrow...

post-6773-0-85860900-1309838080_thumb.jp

i found the easiest to get these stubborn pins out is cut or grind each end of the pin flush with the nut. then loosen the nut it should thread out passed the pin. makes it a little easier. then tap or drill it out. should come out easy.

• Like 1

Separate the drag link from the ball stud. Remove the leather wrap,the cotter pin from the end, back out the screw plug.There are spacers,springs and cups in there (note the sequence when removing them). At assembly you can adjust the joint to spec. I have turned the ball stud 90 degrees at times to help with adjustment, do this with the knuckle removed.

FW

...Speaking of Craftsman tools...(in anouther forum)...

probably my fault becaue it is not the right tool for the job...got the cotter pin out in several peices...thought I was making progress! Busted my puller tryuing to get the joint separated...spindle not off yet...

post-6773-0-61287600-1310238043_thumb.jp

Removing ball joints? Get a high nut that is the same thread as the stud on the ball joint and a matching bolt, thread the bolt about halfway into the nut and then thread the assembly onto the ball joint stud, smack the bolt with a hammer and the ball joint should separate from the control arm. Best part about this is that it won't damage the threads on the ball joint.

I saws the other day that Tiger Tools has a set of adapters that works in the same that I'm seriously thinking about possibly getting in the near future (if everything works out.).

"Mebbe I'm too ugly and stupid to give up!"

Removing ball joints? Get a high nut that is the same thread as the stud on the ball joint and a matching bolt, thread the bolt about halfway into the nut and then thread the assembly onto the ball joint stud, smack the bolt with a hammer and the ball joint should separate from the control arm. Best part about this is that it won't damage the threads on the ball joint.

I saws the other day that Tiger Tools has a set of adapters that works in the same that I'm seriously thinking about possibly getting in the near future (if everything works out.).

I've done that trick a lot through the years when smacking the arm from the side isn't practical.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Bought a new puller, cheapo (all I could get today and worth a try), thought I would break it...and viola! Success! Now on the next issue, the top of the spindle has the needle bearings, I dont think my Kaiser Qwick kit is going to work! Anyhow, finishing up for today...it is our wedding anniversary, gotta take "momma" out to dinner...

post-6773-0-04805400-1310250140_thumb.jppost-6773-0-04729000-1310250160_thumb.jp

Bought a new puller, cheapo (all I could get today and worth a try), thought I would break it...and viola! Success! Now on the next issue, the top of the spindle has the needle bearings, I dont think my Kaiser Qwick kit is going to work! Anyhow, finishing up for today...it is our wedding anniversary, gotta take "momma" out to dinner...

post-6773-0-04805400-1310250140_thumb.jppost-6773-0-04729000-1310250160_thumb.jp

Congrats on the aniversary but be very, very careful with one of those "Momma" characters. You know what happened to me.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Congrats on the aniversary but be very, very careful with one of those "Momma" characters. You know what happened to me.

Rob

Whenever I am not doing something specifically for her, I keep my steel jockey's on, held tight by a classic master combination lock, and she does NOT have the combination!

Whenever I am not doing something specifically for her, I keep my steel jockey's on, held tight by a classic master combination lock, and she does NOT have the combination!

I wish I had your wise intuition when younger.

Rob