T310 Transmission

Hey Guys I have a 05 Mack Granite 6 axle Dump Truck. I have Mack 370 and a T310 tranny. I had the back bow rebuilt at the local Mack dealer 6 weeks ago. 218,000 miles at the time and $4200.00. They told me at the time that there was a bearing "a little loose in the main box" now I have chattering sound at 1400 rpm's loaded. I went over to Mack and they said it would be cheaper just to buy a new tranny. $6500 plus labor $10,000 with clutch and motor mounts. There tranny comes with 2 yr unlimited mileage warranty. I guess what I'm asking, are there good remans available. Am I stuck putting that tranny back in or can I go with a 13 or 18 speed. Without going into detail that back box took 8.5 work days to get right and 3 different visits. I don't have a whole lot of faith in the Mack Shop. I don't figure I have too much time before I have to commit to either a new or rebuilt tranny. Any help would be greatly appreciated. The couple of other times I've posted you guys have been a wealth of information.

Thanks Kurt

You can put a 13 or 18 speed in but you will have to have the VECU reprogrammed so it sees the correct transmission, otherwise you will have speedometer faults and probably engine derates. What bearing is "a little loose in the main box"? Why were they into it for $4200 if they knew it needed to be replaced anyway?

"Mebbe I'm too ugly and stupid to give up!"

Thats something they should of told you while they had it apart. Then let you decide. Now they gotto take it back out and labor,parts, I know it's a money game but do it rightthe first time and you get better customers

I originally took it in because it was grinding from high to low. They replaced the synchroes and clutches and a couple of gears. When I got it back it was still grinding not as bad. The service mngr seid lets give it some time. I drove it not quite a week and a half. My days at the quarry are 7 am to around 230 pm then I go to my other job as an aircraft inspector at an airline. Took it back and they had it for 1 week. Determined that the shifting fork was worn took them 2.5 days to get it back together, spoke with the mechanic that worked on it and he me told that was his first tranny rebuild and he was sorry it took so long. The service mngr showed me the shifting fork on the first visit and said he thought it would be good to go. The first visit was 2.5 days $4200.00. When he mentioned the bearing he didn't show any real concern, like it was no big deal. It never made the chattering noise until after. Very intermittent at first now pretty regular loaded and empty. Bearing location is back wall of main box if I remember right a little to the right/ passenger side about half way up.

Q. Are either the 13 or 18 tranies any stronger? The service mngr said to me that this is too much truck for that tranny. This truck was speced out brand new as a 3 drop axle dump truck from Mack GVW 70,000 lbs I can get out of the quarry with 73,500 gross with overwieght permit.

Q. If I go that route I'm still stuck having to deal with them because of ecu issues.

I know this is really long winded.

Thanks for all the advice

Kurt

Well that shows how smart the service manager is if he says that it's too much truck for the tranny. 70000 lbs isn't a lot of weight and we know these engines don't make enough power to break anything. Swapping to a Mack 13/18 won't do you any good as you will have the same problems with the range shift. If you want to spend money and getting a more reliable set up you'll have to get a reman Fuller 8ll/15/18 and do the swap.

• 7 months later...