B61 Air Compressor Wont Unload

ajt3138

the air compressor on my B61 keeps building pressure past 120 lbs. i took the governor off this morning and dismantled and inspected and tested. all seems good with governer. it was very clean inside. it is functioning as it is supposed to. is there anything i can do with compressor still on the truck? the truck hasnt been started until recently after a three year period while i restored the vehicle. can you get to the unloader without removing the compressor? what a bummer..........i just put my hood and fenders on. is there a way to unstick whatever is sticking?

and where is a good place to send it for repair if i have to pull it?

thanks. aj

AJ,

Do you have a pressure release valve on the tank? It should release the pressure and let it drop down enough to build up again. Not saying this is the fix. My whole air system had oily crud. Mainly the air tank.

mike

yeah, but it doesnt release until 150#.

i drained alot of gunk from tank also.

thanks. aj

yeah, but it doesnt release until 150#.

i drained alot of gunk from tank also.

thanks. aj

Aj,

I'm just going on the assumpion of a total restoration of your truck. I thought you had cleaned the air tank and lines, new governor etc.during your restoration. I installed a 115 lb. valve on the air tank and it escapes air at 120 lb. but my truck was not touched in the air system when I did that. It worked like a champ before I decided to tear the truck down, although it needed a total air system clean out and remanufactured compressor.

It could still be the unloader valve in the compressor head since you have gunk. I would clean the system and then see how it performs before replacing parts.

Let us hear from ya.

mike

Aj,

I'm just going on the assumpion of a total restoration of your truck. I thought you had cleaned the air tank and lines, new governor etc.during your restoration. I installed a 115 lb. valve on the air tank and it escapes air at 120 lb. but my truck was not touched in the air system when I did that. It worked like a champ before I decided to tear the truck down, although it needed a total air system clean out and remanufactured compressor.

It could still be the unloader valve in the compressor head since you have gunk. I would clean the system and then see how it performs before replacing parts.

Let us hear from ya.

mike

mike,

i did clean the tank and all the original copper lines were open and in good shape. the governor is serviced and working to specs and is clean-as-new inside. it was kind of unbelievable how spotless it was inside. i did find a place today to get the answer i was searching for. after some tests we found the unloader valve wasnt working. i did not tear down the compressor during resto. it was a 'if it aint broke-dont fix it deal'.it was in great working order when we dismantled everything to paint. evidently i took too long to get it back together and it decided to stick. it worked fine when i drove it to the shop to pull the engine. what i needed to find out was if i had to remove the compressor to fix the sticking valve. we have ordered an unloader service kit that can be installed while on the truck to repair it. it can be accessed thru the side of the unit after removing the mounting plate for the air line.

i had removed all of the air lines and the only place i found any collection of anything was the sediment in the tank. i believe from not draining it frequently enough. system is clean and everything else is working as of now.

aj