Replaced V-8 Turbo

I replaced my turbo on my V-8 with a custom built one from Dale Francis, building 50 pounds of boost. Talk about power. Anyway, when I pulled the air tubes off, there is oil covering the inside of the tube on the hot side only, nothing on the cold side. I am concerned on oil inside the cooler restricting the cooling of air. I thought about pulling the cooler and flushing it with fuel oil to clean the inside. Should I or is it a waste of time. Any thoughts.

Live every day like it's your last, because one of these days, it will be.

Hi, I think it is a good idea to clean out the cooler. In the past I have used Dawn or Joy and lots of hot water to flush them out. The oil and gunk in the cooler insulates it and the heat exchange is lessened. Of coarse you should remove the cooler to do this. Good luck, Steve

I replaced my turbo on my V-8 with a custom built one from Dale Francis, building 50 pounds of boost. Talk about power. Anyway, when I pulled the air tubes off, there is oil covering the inside of the tube on the hot side only, nothing on the cold side. I am concerned on oil inside the cooler restricting the cooling of air. I thought about pulling the cooler and flushing it with fuel oil to clean the inside. Should I or is it a waste of time. Any thoughts.

I would ask the question Why? What model is the truck !CL? RW? MH? So having said that if the truck is a RW I would highly recommend putting 2 air cleaners on it if it is a CL I would find a bigger air cleaner and put it on it! With a turbo moving that much air the air restriction will likley be real high even with a clean air cleaner!

I have seen the elbow at the turbo become sucked flat with a semi cloged air cleaner and stall the engine momentarily( with engines that have been tweaked Fuel wise).RW with under the hood air cleaners and CL models are subject to this condition.

What I am getting at is air restriction may be causing the oil weep in the first place.

Truck is a RW. I thought about putting dual outside air cleaners on it, but I just don't like the look of them. I like a clean look of the superliners without air cleaners like the RD's have. I had the fuel turned up when I had the pump rebuilt. The turbo was on it's way out anyway, with play in the bearings, oil was seeping by. Sounds like I should remove the cooler and start cleaning it to make sure I don't have a problem later.

Live every day like it's your last, because one of these days, it will be.

Truck is a RW. I thought about putting dual outside air cleaners on it, but I just don't like the look of them. I like a clean look of the superliners without air cleaners like the RD's have. I had the fuel turned up when I had the pump rebuilt. The turbo was on it's way out anyway, with play in the bearings, oil was seeping by. Sounds like I should remove the cooler and start cleaning it to make sure I don't have a problem later.

Yup look after the air filter then !Remember A good performing 500 v8 is 28 to 32 psi With a stock turbo you start wailing 50 psi your moving lots of air! 600 hp is easily pulled from these

With a tweak but the wrist pins are the weak point .Watch your oil changes for brass on the pan plug! If you see brass be carefull Maybe sample your oil once and awhile!