Power Assist Steering

Mackr76

Just wondering if any one could help me with the operation of power assist steering on 76 r model.Seems to have to move the ram thats

connected to the drag link a long way before it operates the steering components.Would any one know how much free movement these rams should

have.

Just wondering if any one could help me with the operation of power assist steering on 76 r model.Seems to have to move the ram thats

connected to the drag link a long way before it operates the steering components.Would any one know how much free movement these rams should

have.

The drag link "torque link" should have barely discernable play in it before it starts to moving the steering components. This "play" is only about .090 each direction of centered when no torque is upon the steering linkage. This play is taken up just as the steering wheel is begun to turn. This internal play opens and closes a series of valves internal to the torque link routing air or hydraulic fluid to the actual steering cylinder attached to the linkage under the truck on the center link that connects each steering spindle. If you have a lot of internal play in the torque link, it is shot as they are not rebuildable. Replacements are damned hard to get hold of also.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

There is a company in Chicago that can rebuild the torque link but it's not inexpensive. I don't know how difficult it would be to acquire an integral gear that is rt. hand drive but if possible would be the way to go.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

I assume this is a Garrision or Ross setup. It operates on the action-reaction principle, there is no visible free movement in the control link, only a small amount of movement internaly. The valve is serviceable but if you are not familiar with these components have someone who is, I have known one that developed hydraulic lock.

FW