Crd92 And Crd93 Swapping

Looks like an entire rear end swap might be cheaper than other ways to change the ratio...Are the springs for say, and early model (1965) CRDx and a later model the same size? What I mean is would it be a good swap to just unbolt the spring "clamp" and roll the rear ends out, then roll the new ones in? Are all camelback attach springs the same (I mean the bottom, or longest spring that attaches to the rears)?

Looks like an entire rear end swap might be cheaper than other ways to change the ratio...Are the springs for say, and early model (1965) CRDx and a later model the same size? What I mean is would it be a good swap to just unbolt the spring "clamp" and roll the rear ends out, then roll the new ones in? Are all camelback attach springs the same (I mean the bottom, or longest spring that attaches to the rears)?

It would be easiest to find a donor truck with the same interior frame width and unbolt the trunion where it mounts through the frame. Remove any crossmembers rearward of the trunion and roll the rears out of both trucks. Rebore holes to match the new trunion, and using new fasteners, bolt it in. Then fit the driveline back into the chassis.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Change the drop-ins, if they have bolted torque rods splice them to your tapered ends.

FW

What if the axles are different (course, fine), just change the axles? Then axle caps?

Do all of the CRD's (92 and 93) have the same basic casting? That is the drop-in, wheels, hubs would interchange?

Thanks

All 92/93 carriers are the same,except a few variations in the power dividers and the torque rod mounting. The driving axle splines are the same for 34k, 38k,and 40k axles.

FW

Wouldn't it be easy to take off springs and all by unbolting the entire trunnion (if that is what the cross shaft between the springs and the support) and bolting in the new one?

Would all Mack camelback rears have the same side to side spring spacing? or would they be different between say, 44K and 38K springs?

None of the manuals I have give much detail on removing the rears from the truck...

What about the wheel Hubs? If the rears I get have 20" daytons, can I replace with my 22" daytons?

I think a 90's CRD 92/93 setup (with the 4.42 ratio I want) with modern brakes for $2500 would be worth the money to me...just swap everything execpt the trunnion mount (mine is cast)

Thanks

Leslie

Wouldn't it be easy to take off springs and all by unbolting the entire trunnion (if that is what the cross shaft between the springs and the support) and bolting in the new one?

Would all Mack camelback rears have the same side to side spring spacing? or would they be different between say, 44K and 38K springs?

None of the manuals I have give much detail on removing the rears from the truck...

What about the wheel Hubs? If the rears I get have 20" daytons, can I replace with my 22" daytons?

I think a 90's CRD 92/93 setup (with the 4.42 ratio I want) with modern brakes for $2500 would be worth the money to me...just swap everything execpt the trunnion mount (mine is cast)

Thanks

Leslie

Any more thoughts?

• 2 months later...

not sure if you talking just on the old old stuff or not.... the splines for the yokes are different on the older one then newer(course vs fine) as well as the axle shaft.... a ch trunion stand will not fit in a r model... too wide,,, a 38000 has a different trunion shaft, has rubber bushing and a two piece spring seat,,, a 44000 has a one piece brass bushing seat..

unbolting the trunion stand from the frame, removing all necessary xmembers and rolling the entire axle spring trunion out of one truck and put into another would be the easiest, then tearing everything downn,,,,,,

do your parts guys a favor and write down the vin for the truck you take it out of..

that goes for any modification.... the only info parts guys have is what it left the factory with, unless you tell us..