Think I Broke A Tip Or Two:

Rob

Went to start my winch truck yesterday to move to a spot where it wouldn't be in the way given the forcast for the recent weather. Now this truck has never started as easily as it should and takes a while to smooth out. However when I started it this last time, it took an exceptional long time to smooth and now has a distinctive pop through the exhaust till the engine gets a little heat in it. After that, doesn't run bad.

I have three new injectors in the cabinet a guy gave me that are rebuilt and never installed. Think I'll pull all of them from the engine to send with these three "spares" to the fuel shop when I pick up my V8 pump and injectors currently over there.

Sounds like a good time to check compression and run the overhead too while partially apart.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

is it smoking bad? a bad cam or bent pushrod will make a poping sound also.

It does smoke but not any worse than the other trucks. The fuel is several years old and the engine does not appear to use oil. I've never had a load other than a short duration run with the empty trailer and there is a lot of idle time on the truck. I'm certain it is loaded up and could use a good run to clean it out.

This "popping" has been there since I've had the truck and it goes away after the truck idles a couple of minutes. I have noticed though a sharp acceleration from idle and the engine does have a slight "stumble" but does not hesitate. Really have thought it was going to need injector work when I started it on the trailer that hauled it here. Even the delivery driver said it smooths out when after a couple minutes.

Seems like everything I get never makes me happy until the pump, injectors, and brakes are all rebuilt. Expensive, but the "peace of mind" seems to be worth the cost.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Im the same way, brakes, tires, and anything that seams to make it run properly... on a side note. that valueliner along with all the other part truck, are burried behind a mountian of snow.

Boy, I don't have any problem believing something is buried in the snow. My son in Warrenville has nearly 5 ft. in his front yard. He had to crawl out a side window and shovel the doors clear to open!!

Rob