Turbo/antifreeze

he can some help me out i have purchased a mack 2004 a month ago and worked great friday and hopped in sunday and white smoke and antifreeze came out of the exhaust pipe, what do i need to look for, still runs good,

Is it a CH/CX or a CV Granite? I see you have CX listed in your profile. So I assume it is a CX, EGR coolers go out like crazy on these engines, The EGR cooler is the metal box on the RH side of the engine, remove the rubber hose between the EGR cooler and the metal "S" pipe (mass flow sensor pipe)that goes back over the engine (between/over the valve covers). If there is coolant/water (wet)in this pipe then more than likely the EgR cooler is bad. Is the coolant coming out of the exhaust manifold it's self?

Is it a CH/CX or a CV Granite? I see you have CX listed in your profile. So I assume it is a CX, EGR coolers go out like crazy on these engines, The EGR cooler is the metal box on the RH side of the engine, remove the rubber hose between the EGR cooler and the metal "S" pipe (mass flow sensor pipe)that goes back over the engine (between/over the valve covers). If there is coolant/water (wet)in this pipe then more than likely the EgR cooler is bad. Is the coolant coming out of the exhaust manifold it's self?

hey thanks, is the egr between the exhaust manifold and turbo, and is there any tricks to change it, thanks for the help,also what makes them go out,

jeff

or is it the metal box with the radiator drain at the bottom

Edited by jarvistreeservice

...also what makes them go out,

jeff

Heat, vibration, poor/no coolant flow. On the left side of the engine there is a formed hose that connects to the thermostat housing. There is a screen inside of the tube that is designed to catch large debris in the system, if it gets plugged it will reduce coolant flow and have a detrimental effect on the cooling system, particularly the EGR cooler. Check it when you drain the coolant to remove the EGR cooler. It's supposed to be changed when the cooling system is drained, according to Mack. Some of the guys on the site may have some more information regarding the screen.

"Mebbe I'm too ugly and stupid to give up!"

Heat, vibration, poor/no coolant flow. On the left side of the engine there is a formed hose that connects to the thermostat housing. There is a screen inside of the tube that is designed to catch large debris in the system, if it gets plugged it will reduce coolant flow and have a detrimental effect on the cooling system, particularly the EGR cooler. Check it when you drain the coolant to remove the EGR cooler. It's supposed to be changed when the cooling system is drained, according to Mack. Some of the guys on the site may have some more information regarding the screen.

Cooling system maintenance too.

"Mebbe I'm too ugly and stupid to give up!"

Heres the service bulletin on keeping the new cooler from going out again. However it probably will go out again, a fleet of CXN's here have 600-700 thousand miles on them and all have had their EGR cooler replaced at least 3 times even when following all the service bulletins from Mack. The coolers come from Mexico if it matters?

oil cooler inlet screen.pdf

surf this site, mostly modern mack trucks forum.

anything that starts with, EGR or 2004 or coolant push...

i had a 2004 cx. i have a few friends with 2004-05 cx.

contact me for help....

driving habits can crack an egr cooler in as little as 8,000 miles or less...

if you have a 2004 cx you are gona want to make this site your home page....

it would help you, and help the guys on here that will be helping you, if you have your dealer run your VIN number, and print out all the repairs and upgrades that your truck has.

if you try running your truck, and just adding coolant, it will kill mass flo tube another $1,200.00 bucks. also danger of hydro locking engine.

i learned the hard way, any time you add coolant to that truck, find out why........

Heres the service bulletin on keeping the new cooler from going out again. However it probably will go out again, a fleet of CXN's here have 600-700 thousand miles on them and all have had their EGR cooler replaced at least 3 times even when following all the service bulletins from Mack. The coolers come from Mexico if it matters?

Thank you

jeff

surf this site, mostly modern mack trucks forum.

anything that starts with, EGR or 2004 or coolant push...

i had a 2004 cx. i have a few friends with 2004-05 cx.

contact me for help....

driving habits can crack an egr cooler in as little as 8,000 miles or less...

if you have a 2004 cx you are gona want to make this site your home page....

it would help you, and help the guys on here that will be helping you, if you have your dealer run your VIN number, and print out all the repairs and upgrades that your truck has.

if you try running your truck, and just adding coolant, it will kill mass flo tube another $1,200.00 bucks. also danger of hydro locking engine.

i learned the hard way, any time you add coolant to that truck, find out why........

Thank you

jeff