Paint Prep And Such

This is the part that scares me. Im preping and painting the truck myself, what do i need to do. I plan on buying a small sand blaster and then I'll clean the truck real good then sand blast it little by little and prime what i sand blasted each day. After i get the whole truck in primer then I'll start painting it (red?). Im putting new glass in it and all new chrome and stuff. I cant wait to get started on it. How does my plan sound? Is there anything that i should do or not do? Any brand of paint to use or stay away from? I want the truck to look good without breaking the bank then later on down the road when the funds allow it I'll re paint it real nice. There is some rot on the truck but from what i saw its fixable. The fenders are a little soft but i think with some braze and bondo they will turn out alright. The cab is also rotted in places but around the windows is solid just under the passenger door is kind of soft. Once i get it home I'll be able to really see how it is.

I would only paint once when the truck is completely apart, then assemble. I wouldnt waste time painting half ass and then painting again. :pat: I'll bet you will have more money & time doing it twice. All the masking and doing the little things take a huge effort. My 2cents. Go to may gallery and check my cab out.

remember to not sandblast the cab and sheetmetal. sandblasting will warp sheetmetal. sandblasting on the frame is fine, just tape up with duct tape (anything else gets eaten up when blasting near it) anything you dont want sand to get in and cover up with tarps aanything else because the sand will get everywhere. You might be beter off getting a mobile sandblaster guy to come and blast for you. He can knock a truck out in no time. That way you can prep it pull the tires and let him blast. even small sandblast pots need a huge amount of air and will kill even most big shop air compressors. As far as the cab goes chemical stripper to remove old paint and you can spot sandblast rusty spots. Well thats my 2cents on some of the many steps needed

Thanks for the replys. I dont have the money or the shop to completely strip down and restore right now. Im only 16 so supplys are limited. Tools and stuff i can always borrow from my boss but i need more than a few tools to restore the truck. Thanks for tellin me about sandblasting the cab because i didnt even think of that. I just want to get the truck in prime so i can start doing body work on it. Rick that cab is beatiful i wish i had a place that i could strip down the truck like that. Im just trying to stop all rust and rot in its tracks right now and have it so its mechanicly sound and the body work is done pretty good then as soon as i can id like to paint it real nice.

Thanks

Chris