Allis Chalmers Forklilft

rhasler

I spent a good part of the morning outside in the snow and 9 degree temperature (-2 with windchill) starting an old forklift and pushing a broke down DOT road sanding volvo with a load of cinders in the dump box into the shop. Forklift (AKA Alice or Ms. Chalmers) started up pretty easily and performed admirably given the conditions outside and her age. What I'm wondering is if any of you guys familiar with any of the industrial forklifts that Allis Chalmers manufactured? Ours has been owned by at least a couple of different people (parties unknown) and I'm wondering about the engine in it a bit as the engine data tag is missing (the tag was removed by some thoughtful individual in the past, so I'm not sure what model it actually has in it.). There are two tags remaining on the forklift. The one on the mast says model 612 number 840, the one on the chassis says I-500 number 800. I used to have the information off of the fuel pump, but have since misplaced it. I recall that it was a Stanadyne pump. I can get the information again if it will be of any help identifying the engine. The engine is a 4 cylinder diesel engine, non-turbocharged. I've done a bit of light research on the engines and found some overhaul/gasket kits for them, and even some manuals/literature at one of the antique tractor sites, but haven't torn into the engine enough to determine what model it is based on components.

"Mebbe I'm too ugly and stupid to give up!"

I spent a good part of the morning outside in the snow and 9 degree temperature (-2 with windchill) starting an old forklift and pushing a broke down DOT road sanding volvo with a load of cinders in the dump box into the shop. Forklift (AKA Alice or Ms. Chalmers) started up pretty easily and performed admirably given the conditions outside and her age. What I'm wondering is if any of you guys familiar with any of the industrial forklifts that Allis Chalmers manufactured? Ours has been owned by at least a couple of different people (parties unknown) and I'm wondering about the engine in it a bit as the engine data tag is missing (the tag was removed by some thoughtful individual in the past, so I'm not sure what model it actually has in it.). There are two tags remaining on the forklift. The one on the mast says model 612 number 840, the one on the chassis says I-500 number 800. I used to have the information off of the fuel pump, but have since misplaced it. I recall that it was a Stanadyne pump. I can get the information again if it will be of any help identifying the engine. The engine is a 4 cylinder diesel engine, non-turbocharged. I've done a bit of light research on the engines and found some overhaul/gasket kits for them, and even some manuals/literature at one of the antique tractor sites, but haven't torn into the engine enough to determine what model it is based on components.

Both Allis forklifts I've owned were gasoline powered but used a four cylinder Continental flat head. I believe the diesels were also built by Continental but don't know anymore than that.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Both Allis forklifts I've owned were gasoline powered but used a four cylinder Continental flat head. I believe the diesels were also built by Continental but don't know anymore than that.

Rob

Thanks Rob, that's more than I knew.

Call Dillon Supply at (919)838-4302 and ask for forklift service. They have guys there that have worked on forklifts their entire lives. They can tell you what you have and ship parts. I've picked up a torque converter, trans pump, cyl rebuild kits and king pins for my old AC. They even printed a page on the axle for me so I could see how it came apart. It's like working with a Mack dealer or parts store of 40 years ago.

Call Dillon Supply at (919)838-4302 and ask for forklift service. They have guys there that have worked on forklifts their entire lives. They can tell you what you have and ship parts. I've picked up a torque converter, trans pump, cyl rebuild kits and king pins for my old AC. They even printed a page on the axle for me so I could see how it came apart. It's like working with a Mack dealer or parts store of 40 years ago.

Awesome, thanks David. I always prefer to deal with a company that is given an endorsement such as yours to one of the "nameless/faceless" types.