Tractor Air Confusion

leversole

I believe I understand the tractor protection valve and what it does...I am slightly confused on how it is controlled in a typical B model...There is only one lever in the cab for trailer control, and it is marked normal and emergency, and I thought I read somewhere that it was used to apply trailer brakes in an emergency. So my questions are...

How do you charge/dump the trailer parking brake (independent of the tractor parking brake), and how do you start/stop the tractor brake air from leaking out of the trailer hoses when a trailer is not attached...

Thanks

With the lever in the "normal" position, air is supplied to the trailer, which also releases the trailer parking brakes if so equipped.(spring brakes were not required on trailers until 1977). During "normal" driving, trailer service brakes work as an extension of the tractor's brakes with the foot pedal. The hand control, AKA spike or trolley valve, will apply only trailer brakes, useful for jacknife situations or backing under an older trailer.

In the "emergency" position, air to the trailer is shut off, and the spring maxi-brakes will apply. (air pressure in normal driving keeps the springs back). The "emergency" position also allows you to unhook the trailer without losing air thru the trailer supply line.

Gregg

With the lever in the "normal" position, air is supplied to the trailer, which also releases the trailer parking brakes if so equipped.(spring brakes were not required on trailers until 1977). During "normal" driving, trailer service brakes work as an extension of the tractor's brakes with the foot pedal. The hand control, AKA spike or trolley valve, will apply only trailer brakes, useful for jacknife situations or backing under an older trailer.

In the "emergency" position, air to the trailer is shut off, and the spring maxi-brakes will apply. (air pressure in normal driving keeps the springs back). The "emergency" position also allows you to unhook the trailer without losing air thru the trailer supply line.

Gregg

Thanks! So the Emg/normal switch is like a modern Trailer Air Control? ANd the only addition with the third valve on modern trucks is the trailer parking brake. Modern truck have three valves, tractor park, trailer park,and trailer supply?

Thanks again.