Finally Found The Elusive Air Leak:

Rob

Been getting real tired of soapy water in a spray bottle spraying everything with an air line, tightening fittings when bubbles are revealed and still having an air leak. This R612 has hoses, valves, regulators etc. going every which a way. Although I'd never seen it before, there is a small wet tank buried in the frame rail on the rt. side just under the 5th wheel that is covered by a deck plate. This wet tank has a check valve in the front of it, and the two compartment dry tank has check valves in each end. All three are leaking and need rebuilt/replaced. I took the one apart on the wet tank and the seat is nowhere near smooth but rather coarse and rippled. These are all heavy brass pieces and I hope rebuild kits are available. They are very clean inside with no carbon tracking but the air compressor is a reman unit. I suppose the old compressor was pumping oil before being replaced and may have been the root evil to this.

I found this by tapping a shop air "Tee" into the dry tank and with the inlet air lines removed, both valves leaked pressure from the tank. I couldn't find this with the lines connected but knew the leakage was through the compressor head as I could hear it escaping.

Another lesson learned I suppose.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Rob

glad you found it. how long does it take you to get yourself into a twisted mess to access this tank? Or can you reach it from the top?

Hi Trent, it was easier to just remove the tank from it's mounts and take it apart on the floor. The tank was behind a splash gaurd and is only about 6" in diameter, and maybe 12" in length. It has the compressor discharge line into the front, a "Tee" fitting from the top feeding the split dry tank on both sides, and a drain valve. This thing was loaded with water meaning probably a quart. It probably hadn't been drained in a good long time.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.