Leave In Original Bogies, Or Not?

I,m in the process of restoring a 1963 Mack B-421 S and I need some opinions on how original I should keep it. So far I'm planning on leaving the original EN-402 engine and the original trannys in it, but i'm wondering if I should leave the original rear ends in it. They are Mack dual reduction bogies with 7.49 ratios, sitting on a 3 leaf walking beam suspension. So the question is, should i rebuild them & leave the truck stock or find a newer single axel rear end and put under it?

The truck is only going to go to shows and haul a few tractors around every once in a while.

Thanks for your input,

Daniel

I am no kind of an authority on the subject so this is only an educated guess. I took a coarse on firearms appraisal several years ago and the big emphasis was to keep the item as original as possible unless it had to be repaired with new parts for safety.Keep all the original parts...if possible. If you ever sell the truck it will have more value if it is it's original form. However if you do decide to change it over to a single screw try and keep the original running gear so if you do sell it ,it will be more valuable to a collector. Good luck and have fun.

THE GREATEST NAME IN TRUCKS

MACK TRUCKS

I am no kind of an authority on the subject so this is only an educated guess. I took a coarse on firearms appraisal several years ago and the big emphasis was to keep the item as original as possible unless it had to be repaired with new parts for safety.Keep all the original parts...if possible. If you ever sell the truck it will have more value if it is it's original form. However if you do decide to change it over to a single screw try and keep the original running gear so if you do sell it ,it will be more valuable to a collector. Good luck and have fun.

Mackdaddy, Thanks for your input. If i do leave them in there, the mechanical power divider will nee to be rebuilt. Are the parts needed to rebuild them still available from Mack or anywhere else?

Thanks for your help,

Daniel

I'm not sure about the parts. If it were me I would contact your nearest MACK dealer. Have the trucks VIN and the serial number and part number off of the axle and the power devider itself. Barry , the site administrater can help you there. He works for a mack dealer. Check out the LINKS at the top of the page...he works for WATTS MACK and this site is owned by WATTS I think. Good luck

THE GREATEST NAME IN TRUCKS

MACK TRUCKS

I'm not sure about the parts. If it were me I would contact your nearest MACK dealer. Have the trucks VIN and the serial number and part number off of the axle and the power devider itself. Barry , the site administrater can help you there. He works for a mack dealer. Check out the LINKS at the top of the page...he works for WATTS MACK and this site is owned by WATTS I think. Good luck

Alright sir, I appreciate the advice and the help. I'll be checking into that pretty soon.

Thanks, Daniel

Hi, I personally prefer the look of tandem drive truck and would never turn a tandem into a single it feels to me you your taking the trucks credibilty away. Rigid tray trucks are fine as single drive, Prime mover style trucks just look correct with tandem drive just my opinon for what is worth all the best with your project Cheers Gearbox

Hi, I personally prefer the look of tandem drive truck and would never turn a tandem into a single it feels to me you your taking the trucks credibilty away. Rigid tray trucks are fine as single drive, Prime mover style trucks just look correct with tandem drive just my opinon for what is worth all the best with your project Cheers Gearbox

I agree completely with what you're saying. A longer wheel base truck just looks alot better with 3 axels. If we can find parts to rebuild the power divider, we'll most likely leave it a three axel.

Thanks for your input,

Daniel