Generator Test Inconclusive?

Not getting any voltage out of the generator battery terminal.

Tested the generator the old fashioned way, ground the field, chevk for voltage with engine running and regulator disconnected. No voltage (.048 or so). This tells me the gen is not putting out...BUT, another test is supposed to be applying 12 volts to the gen battery terminal and the thing will spin (no belt tension) like a motor if it is good, it did?!? So, two conflicting stories...

Just want to make sure the gen is bad before I dpend the money on an alternator...

Thanks

Leslie

:unsure:

Not getting any voltage out of the generator battery terminal.

Tested the generator the old fashioned way, ground the field, chevk for voltage with engine running and regulator disconnected. No voltage (.048 or so). This tells me the gen is not putting out...BUT, another test is supposed to be applying 12 volts to the gen battery terminal and the thing will spin (no belt tension) like a motor if it is good, it did?!? So, two conflicting stories...

Just want to make sure the gen is bad before I dpend the money on an alternator...

Thanks

Leslie

Mine does that on occasion, I just pull cover off back, crank engine, tape a commutator cleaning bar to a stick, and clean it good while its spinning, then spray some lectra clean down in there. Course, mine gets a lil oil on it on occasion from power steering pump which mounts to back of generator, or take tail cover off and look at brushes,,,randyp