Slipping Clutch E9 12 Speed

rodent

i have a 88 superliner 500 12 speed the clutch would slip occasionally so i took it to the local mack dealer for a new one,it slips worst than the old one so they put in another same thing there putting in 1650 clutches wich i dont think is enough ,the truck makes over thirty pounds of boost and pulls quite well ,the flywheel has been turned and checked for true and proper thickness and is within specks.i have been around these trucks my whole life and have never encounterd this the mechanic and i both think a 1850 cluch is the answer but the service manager thinks its not the problem.both cluches squeel as soon as i start building boost and yes the air to air has been checked and the turbo replaced im stumped here and was hoping somebody out there could help me with a remedy

i have a 88 superliner 500 12 speed the clutch would slip occasionally so i took it to the local mack dealer for a new one,it slips worst than the old one so they put in another same thing there putting in 1650 clutches wich i dont think is enough ,the truck makes over thirty pounds of boost and pulls quite well ,the flywheel has been turned and checked for true and proper thickness and is within specks.i have been around these trucks my whole life and have never encounterd this the mechanic and i both think a 1850 cluch is the answer but the service manager thinks its not the problem.both cluches squeel as soon as i start building boost and yes the air to air has been checked and the turbo replaced im stumped here and was hoping somebody out there could help me with a remedy

The specs for the 1988 E9 500 show peak torque at 1660 lb ft (at 1300 rpm). A 1650 lb ft rated clutch is probably at it's limit if the engine is stock.

"Mebbe I'm too ugly and stupid to give up!"

The specs for the 1988 E9 500 show peak torque at 1660 lb ft (at 1300 rpm). A 1650 lb ft rated clutch is probably at it's limit if the engine is stock.

yes thats what i think,and so does the mechanic ive orderd a 1850 so hopefully this cures the problem .if any one else has run into this please let me know

I had the same trouble with my E9 even before I did a power upgrade. I went through 2 new Meritor clutches in just a few weeks. I'm running a Lipe Clutch now. If you look at the pressure plate on the Meritor/Rockwell clutch the pressure springs are loaded on an angle where as the Lipe springs are loaded straight up and down. This makes for a stronger force on the clutch discs.

Lipe Clutches a distributed out of Paris Tennessee and I have the distributors business card in my truck if your interested in a Lipe.

If not you can contact Kelly Osborne in Riverton Wyoming (Osborne Trucking) he is the Mack service dealer for that area and he has a part # for a Meritor clutch that they run behind their E9's. I think it's rated at 1850 on the torque.

I don't know if you have ever run into this, but the center on some clutches are too small and will hit the flywheel bolts. So make sure you get one that is compatible with an E9.

I don't know if you have ever run into this, but the center on some clutches are too small and will hit the flywheel bolts. So make sure you get one that is compatible with an E9.

WE allready had that with his first clutch! We have the 1850 on order!

This has been a real pain to say the least the gurus at the spicer hot line were of no help either.

I had the same trouble with my E9 even before I did a power upgrade. I went through 2 new Meritor clutches in just a few weeks. I'm running a Lipe Clutch now. If you look at the pressure plate on the Meritor/Rockwell clutch the pressure springs are loaded on an angle where as the Lipe springs are loaded straight up and down. This makes for a stronger force on the clutch discs.

Lipe Clutches a distributed out of Paris Tennessee and I have the distributors business card in my truck if your interested in a Lipe.

If not you can contact Kelly Osborne in Riverton Wyoming (Osborne Trucking) he is the Mack service dealer for that area and he has a part # for a Meritor clutch that they run behind their E9's. I think it's rated at 1850 on the torque.

• 2 weeks later...

thanx for the info hopefully the 1850 will do it i will get that info from u if it doesnt work

OK Men we got the 1850 in there and havent heard from the Rodent Man So I'm Hopen we put this issue to bed!

This Was yet another lesson in reman clutches for our parts guys which they likley will NOT learn from!

OK Men we got the 1850 in there and havent heard from the Rodent Man So I'm Hopen we put this issue to bed!

This Was yet another lesson in reman clutches for our parts guys which they likley will NOT learn from!

I don't think they will until they start having to do the rework! Our's never have.

"Mebbe I'm too ugly and stupid to give up!"