New Guy, Old Truck

Hi all, actually I'm a new guy to this forum considering buying an older Mack and looking for advice, drove for a company for 30 + years but they outsourced there trucking division, now at 60 i'm finding it hard to get a decent driving job so looking at being an o/o for a few years until retirement. Over the years have driven just about every make there is but for some reason was always partial to Macks (even drove a C/O V/8 5 speed for awhile), there is a local auction comming up that has 5, 2000 Mack CH 613 day cab conventionals for sale, some specs are E-7 427 engine, 10 speed, twin screw, 180" wb, 40,000 lb rears, air suspension, ect.. I know some of you guys think i'm nuts for considering this adventure but I can't see myself flipping burgers for the other "big Macks", been reading problems with the later Macks, anybody have experience with these CH models or should I consider older yet ?? Will be pulling daily loads for that range from light to 43,000, usually under 300 mile days, any and all advice appreciated, thanks, Blue dog

Welcome Bluedog :WELCOME:

. I run a 2001 CX, same platform as you are looking at. E-7 427, 10 spd. Motor runs fine , no major problems. The original radiator was a plastic/aluminum unit. Most have already been changed by now. It would cost about $700 for a new, steel one. It would be interesting to see if the owners ran fuel additive, as not doing so caused problems related to the camshaft/fuel pump connections.

Good motor overall. Before all the computerized and exhaust crap, so less problems.

If you have work lined up and don't have to sink a lot of money into it, I would say you will have a good runner(til you reach retirement) Be good to it, it will be good to you.

Success is only a stones throw away.................................................................for a Palestinian

Hi all, actually I'm a new guy to this forum considering buying an older Mack and looking for advice, drove for a company for 30 + years but they outsourced there trucking division, now at 60 i'm finding it hard to get a decent driving job so looking at being an o/o for a few years until retirement. Over the years have driven just about every make there is but for some reason was always partial to Macks (even drove a C/O V/8 5 speed for awhile), there is a local auction comming up that has 5, 2000 Mack CH 613 day cab conventionals for sale, some specs are E-7 427 engine, 10 speed, twin screw, 180" wb, 40,000 lb rears, air suspension, ect.. I know some of you guys think i'm nuts for considering this adventure but I can't see myself flipping burgers for the other "big Macks", been reading problems with the later Macks, anybody have experience with these CH models or should I consider older yet ?? Will be pulling daily loads for that range from light to 43,000, usually under 300 mile days, any and all advice appreciated, thanks, Blue dog

I agree with hatcity. That truck is a good set up for what you want to do and should have many many miles left before it goes into your pocketbook.