Please Move Over Or Slow Down

Terry T

I don't mean to preach, but for the 2nd time in less than two years this kind of thing has "HIT" too close to home. The first time the end result was the death of a fellow tow operator.

Several states have a "MOVE OVER LAW" that requires motorists to move over or slow down for emergency, safety, and work vehicles on the side of the road. It is sad to think that a law has to be enacted where common sense should dictate.

The Trooper was in his vehicle writing the driver of the van a ticket when the Buick struck him from behind at "highway speed". The Trooper and both occupants of the Buick went to the hospital.

It is not always possible to move over because of traffic, but when encountering vehicles on the side of the road please try to move over or slow down. Please also pass my request on to the other driving members of your family. Many lives, including mine, depend on the driving public being safe and considerate.

Terry.

I agree Terry!

I drive over the road for a living and 95% of the truckers I see all change lanes to give the emergency viechels and cops the space they need . Unfortunely cars rarely move over with us and often get suprised when we "close the door on them"

glad the cop and motorest were ok. :(

one thing that does piss me off is when officer Joe pulls grandma over on a busy highway for a simple violation and he feels the need to park 1/2 his cruiser in the traviling lane. :angry: it just causes a back up and often the car behind me ,tailgating or not, will nearly hit the cruiser because they are not expecting a car to be parked halfway on the roadway. fire trucks wreckers or an accedent I se no problem to block a lane for safty space. but for a ticket thats just plane wrong and unsafe!!

Trent

I agree Terry!

I drive over the road for a living and 95% of the truckers I see all change lanes to give the emergency viechels and cops the space they need . Unfortunely cars rarely move over with us and often get suprised when we "close the door on them"

glad the cop and motorest were ok. :(

one thing that does piss me off is when officer Joe pulls grandma over on a busy highway for a simple violation and he feels the need to park 1/2 his cruiser in the traviling lane.  :angry:  it just causes a back up and often the car behind me ,tailgating or not, will nearly hit the cruiser because they are not expecting a car to be parked halfway on the roadway. fire trucks wreckers or an accedent I se no problem to block a lane for safty space. but for a ticket thats just plane wrong and unsafe!!

Trent

Trent,

Just to let you know, the Cops are trained to "hang" their cruiser halfway out in that lane. This gives the cop an Ilse of saftey when he walks to the stopped vehicle. You may have seen some videos on TV where a Cop has to jump back or duck the gun that is coming out of the window. This Ilse gives him the room to move without fear of getting waffled.

The only problem I have is how does the Cop get out of his car without stepping further out into traffic. I always park the car on a 45 degree angle, this gives me a chance to look a traffic before gettting out of the car. Also if the crusier is hit the car will either go off on an angle or spin around, giving me time to "DUCK!" The problem with parking the car on an angle is the view of the roof rack is reduced. Gad, every job has it problems.

And yes, I do agree....Please move over. Over the last 30 plus years I have had several near misses and I have gone over the guard rail head first at least 3 times. Once the car I stopped was hit. As far as Grandma goes, I bet she was doing 25 MPH in a posted 65MPH and in the left lane.

Jim.

I myself wear a long sleeve shirt year round with orange reflective material. This picture was taken more than an hour after the crash. The crash occured just before a large thunderstorm moved thru the area so (considering I wasn't there, I am just guessing) I would bet that this is probably the third time they have changed over clothes. I.E. vests or turnout gear, rain gear and now have just shed rain gear and have not put the vest etc back on. Although they should be, the dayglow or reflective material is not mandated yet.

T.