Engine Troubles

CompToyZ

Let me start at the beginning here, first there was man...oops too far back lol.

I am running a 2003 Mack Vision (CX613 I believe) with a 460 and an Eaton 13. I run loads from Vancouver to Calgary and back 2 or 3 times per week. Not as fast as the guys with actual horse power but I manage to get there lol.

Tuesday of last week I was running on a flat stretch by Chase BC when I instantly lost power and the engine started making a loud whopping noise. Almost like a blown turbo or broken Jake.

Turns out the bolts holding the rocker shaft on broke on one end and the shaft bent. Mack knows they are a problem, there is a service bulletin on them from 2008.

After paying a mobile unit to come out, then getting the tractor to town then parts and repairs AND losing my load. This has been very costly, my problem is this though the shop doing the work has never worked on one of these and can't get the valve set right. They are setting it like a cat or ISX engine and it's not performing properly, I'm hearing a whop whop noise from my intake still and power is even less then before.

Is there a different way to do a valve set on these? Can someone lay out the procedure for us please? I wanted Mack to do the work but they can't look at it for a couple weeks and down time is a killer as we all know.

Any help would be appretiated, thanks guys

Let me start at the beginning here, first there was man...oops too far back lol.

I am running a 2003 Mack Vision (CX613 I believe) with a 460 and an Eaton 13. I run loads from Vancouver to Calgary and back 2 or 3 times per week. Not as fast as the guys with actual horse power but I manage to get there lol.

Tuesday of last week I was running on a flat stretch by Chase BC when I instantly lost power and the engine started making a loud whopping noise. Almost like a blown turbo or broken Jake.

Turns out the bolts holding the rocker shaft on broke on one end and the shaft bent. Mack knows they are a problem, there is a service bulletin on them from 2008.

After paying a mobile unit to come out, then getting the tractor to town then parts and repairs AND losing my load. This has been very costly, my problem is this though the shop doing the work has never worked on one of these and can't get the valve set right. They are setting it like a cat or ISX engine and it's not performing properly, I'm hearing a whop whop noise from my intake still and power is even less then before.

Is there a different way to do a valve set on these? Can someone lay out the procedure for us please? I wanted Mack to do the work but they can't look at it for a couple weeks and down time is a killer as we all know.

The Valve set is done one cylinder at a time They CAN"T Set it like a cat!

Also If you still have a woof out the air cleaner you may have a damaged lifter!

Take the truck back to them and have it checked and the valves set correctly! Valve set is done in firing order 153624 valve set marks are on the flywheel in the small opening at the bottom.

As FJH stated you probably busted a cermaic cam lifter, sadly it happens alot. When ever we have a ASET apart we put the newer style hold down bolts in. I dont remember the pre ASET (2003 and older) engines breaking but anything is possible.

That was pretty rude of me guys, I didn't thank you for the help before bugging you again. Thank you, and thanks again lol. He is about to try one last valve set mid-load here. The mechanic seems pretty good, he's far from incompetent I think, as I said he just is in the dark on this.

Apparently it's the Jake valves that are the problem? He read something that said when 1 exhaust is closed all the way then adjust 3? Makes no sense to me, does this make any sense at all?

[/quote

]

everything is set a once ! You turn the engine to the valve set marks on the fly wheel to nunber 1/6,at that point the valves on one of those 2 ycls will be starting to close and open, (1 or six will be moveing) you will set the valves on the cylinder that has slack on the valves, then turn the engine to V/S 5/2 0n the flywheel set the next one in the firing orderIf it has a power leash brake that is set as well! 16 on the intake and 24 on the exhast 40 thou for the power leash pin.You set to the power leash pin first then set the valve.

Again thank you so much for the help :)

I was wondering though, do they make a big cam kit for these? Or maybe an engine brake that does more then sound like a big dog growling? I've read injectors work well on these, I'm counting my pennies to get a set from Rochester or northwestern, then maybe get a chip/box.

I'd love to make this tractor shine, I've yet to see one done up, I've already lined up low profile rubber, also planning a 2" suspension drop, got the brother fabbing up some custom stuff for her on the plasma table as well. Everyones all over the KW's and shakers but I'd like to build my girl into the belle of the ball lol