Eaton 9Spd Grinds Clinking On To The High Side

ducatijay

got a '93 ch with a eaton 9spd. just bought it a couple of weeks ago. transmission shifted fine until about 3 days ago. now everytime i click onto the high side (4th to 5th) it makes a grinding noise then it clicks in. no matter how i shift it it stil grinds. any ideas? a friend of mine said it might be a syncro. i'm hoping i can make some kind of adjustment....

got a '93 ch with a eaton 9spd. just bought it a couple of weeks ago. transmission shifted fine until about 3 days ago. now everytime i click onto the high side (4th to 5th) it makes a grinding noise then it clicks in. no matter how i shift it it stil grinds. any ideas? a friend of mine said it might be a syncro. i'm hoping i can make some kind of adjustment....

Your friend is correct.

When we took the back off my 9sp , to convert to 13, the pins were laying in the bottom. We think it was caused by the driveshaft spline being FROZEN solid. Really had to be beaten to move it to get it out. It shifted up ok , but down, almost had to stop, the it had a LOUD clunk.

Also when you get the synchro replaced also check if its a air ride the air bag height cause if the rear ends have a incorrect ujoint angle it can break the pins in the scychro. In fact that is about the only thing that breaks the pins.

funny you should say that, i blew a bag on the highway drove it for about 2 miles to parking area. is it hard to change the synchro? can the transmission stay in?

funny you should say that, i blew a bag on the highway drove it for about 2 miles to parking area. is it hard to change the synchro? can the transmission stay in?

[/

quote]

Yes you can leave the trans in and it is not an easy job to change the syncro but there are some things to be aware of . You need to mark the gears and 'time' them correctly or you will have big problems ,and you must shim the countershafts to get correct end play. If you go to Eatons web site you can get all the info you need as well as an electronic parts catalogue and any updates for your trans as well .

just got a price of $1400-$1800 to fix it. you guys think that's a little high? anyone have an idea how much it would be around to convert to a 13spd? i looked on roadrangers website and it looks like the conversion kit has an updated synchro included. maybe i can kill two birds with one stone.............

just got a price of $1400-$1800 to fix it. you guys think that's a little high? anyone have an idea how much it would be around to convert to a 13spd? i looked on roadrangers website and it looks like the conversion kit has an updated synchro included. maybe i can kill two birds with one stone.............

You need to start with a direct drive 9 speed or other wise you would end up with a RTOO. double over drive.big time over drive.

glenn akers

I have encountered the same problem, on a high mileage transmission, that was due to badly worn splines on the main shaft and auxiliary drive gear. Have you ever noticed a little sticker beside the shift pattern sticker, that say's, 'Do Not Change Range While In Reverse"? Doing so can damage the sync. the least of which, is to throw the springs out of the assembly.