Aussie H-Model?

Anybody ever see any pictures of an aussie spec. H-model? all the books,pictures ive seen you see plenty of B's R's and F's but never any H-models...just curious maybe some of our friends down under can shed some light on the subject?....i know they were both exported and built there,just wondered why you never see one...........Mark

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

Anybody ever see any pictures of an aussie spec. H-model? all the books,pictures ive seen you see plenty of B's R's and F's but never any H-models...just curious maybe some of our friends down under can shed some light on the subject?....i know they were both exported and built there,just wondered why you never see one...........Mark

Mark,

There was only two H model Mack trucks imported new to Australia, they were H673ST's for Antill Ranger, that was in 1962. Because they were LHD they

were registerd for road use in the A.C.T. where you could have LHD. The F model Mack was only months away so the next COE's were F models. They were

sold in mid 64 to separate owners and one was dismantled and has disappeared. The other was re-sold a couple of years later and converted to RHD by its

new owner and gave many years service pulling a Low Loader around Brisbane. This truck is still in existance and is in a transport museum in Queensland.

There has been one imported recently by a collector and it remains in LHD, it has a belt driven tandem.

Hope this information is of some help.

Jeff.

Here is the one owned by the museum. Paul

post-3242-087080600 1285462513_thumb.jpg

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Mark,

There was only two H model Mack trucks imported new to Australia, they were H673ST's for Antill Ranger, that was in 1962. Because they were LHD they

were registerd for road use in the A.C.T. where you could have LHD. The F model Mack was only months away so the next COE's were F models. They were

sold in mid 64 to separate owners and one was dismantled and has disappeared. The other was re-sold a couple of years later and converted to RHD by its

new owner and gave many years service pulling a Low Loader around Brisbane. This truck is still in existance and is in a transport museum in Queensland.

There has been one imported recently by a collector and it remains in LHD, it has a belt driven tandem.

Hope this information is of some help.

Jeff.

Hey jeff,thanks for the info,i was just curious why you never see an H-model in "oz" i would have thought they would've been a popular truck for the long-distance work,but what you said also makes sense....given the popularity of the B-model there,just makes sense to me there would be a fair number of H-models as well! i have an old copy of an autrailian trucking magazine truckin'life ?(i think) and there is an ad. for the "new" R-model, the guy in the photo says "i could have cried when i heard mack was replacing the B-model"!....i think austrailia is the only other country in the world where vintage macks have such a huge following as they do here in the states.........Mark

Here is the one owned by the museum. Paul

post-3242-087080600 1285462513_thumb.jpg

Thanks Paul,thats a good looking truck! i have always liked the "aussie style" pinstripes, even now they still seem to put a lot of effort into paint design/color, much like owner/operators here used to do...given the popularity of the B-model over there,it just seemed strange to never see an H-model! not sure a could run a two stick box with my left hand however! LOL!..Mark

When I was in high school I worked at my uncles gas station, one customer had a 1930 Rolls Royce right hand drive left hand shift. I moved it once and I'm still traumatized 40 plus years later....... :blink:

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE