King Pin

richie

hey guys ..I read your posts on how to check for king pin wear but can someone tell me just how much slack is ok or is any slack not a good thing. when lifted with a bar the wheel moves very slightly but am wondering should it move at all or is a little ok ??

hey guys ..I read your posts on how to check for king pin wear but can someone tell me just how much slack is ok or is any slack not a good thing. when lifted with a bar the wheel moves very slightly but am wondering should it move at all or is a little ok ??

Kingpin wear is measured with a dial indicator at the top and bottom of the spindle, parallel to the axle against the bushing/bearing bore. For a Mack FAW axle the total indicator travel (measurement from top bore plus measurement from bottom bore) should not be more than .015. I think for Rockwell/Meritor and Eaton axles the specification is .012"

"Mebbe I'm too ugly and stupid to give up!"

Kingpin wear is measured with a dial indicator at the top and bottom of the spindle, parallel to the axle against the bushing/bearing bore. For a Mack FAW axle the total indicator travel (measurement from top bore plus measurement from bottom bore) should not be more than .015. I think for Rockwell/Meritor and Eaton axles the specification is .012"

By DOT limits here your allowed 3/16 at the bottom of the wheel tipping it with a bar! I would be more inclined to say 1/8 to be the maximum! Bare in mind to much wear can create unwanted tire wear!