Gearing / Rpm Questions

I am looking real hard at this heavy spec 2004 Vision.

It has:

E7 460

Mack 18 speed

4.10:1 Full Lockers

14000/46000

22.5 Tires

VIN: 1M1AE07Y64N020862

I have been told that if you get the Mack's RPMs over 1500 the mileage goes for a crap. Would this truck be reving too high at 65mph? We are capped here in Ontarion Canada at 105kph (65mph).

Thanks for the help guys!!

Bill

64 MPH @ 1500 RPM.

90 MPH @ 2100 RPM.

Cool, thanks for the info!!

Any estimates on fuel economy? Will be pulling ~25 tonne in a 53' van. Fuel being the biggest expense, I don't want to make a bad choice.

I think this truck was used to haul a dump trailer before, so not sure it had much long haul. The way this truck is spec'ed it should pull a house down, I just don't want to have a tanker following me!!

Thanks again for the help!!

Bill

You need know if the tires are 1100x22.5 or low profile.

Sorry, they are 11R22.5.

I have been doing some research and some articles from 2002 are saying that Mack suggests running them at 1600rpm for cruise. If this is correct, it should be good. I guess lower cruise rpm "should" get better mileage though....

Bill

Sorry, they are 11R22.5.

I have been doing some research and some articles from 2002 are saying that Mack suggests running them at 1600rpm for cruise. If this is correct, it should be good. I guess lower cruise rpm "should" get better mileage though....

Bill

All of the data sheets I have on hand for the AC 460 engine say 1600 rpm +/- 50 rpm in order to keep it in it's range. Go here: http://www.macktrucks.com/default.aspx?pageid=52 and look at the bottom of the page for the "Mack Power Comparison" download. It shows some comparisons of Mack to other OEM engines. It's a little out of date and doesn't include any information on the MP8 or MP10 engines, but it does have the ASET AC engines listed there.

"Mebbe I'm too ugly and stupid to give up!"

I didn't realize you had posted the VIN. You might want to look really close at the turbo and exhaust manifold on the engine, from what I can see it hasn't had a new turbo installed since 2005. If it hasn't had one replaced since then I would say it is inevitable that it will need one, the VGT turbo's for these engines are expensive. Just something to keep in mind before diving in.

"Mebbe I'm too ugly and stupid to give up!"

I didn't realize you had posted the VIN. You might want to look really close at the turbo and exhaust manifold on the engine, from what I can see it hasn't had a new turbo installed since 2005. If it hasn't had one replaced since then I would say it is inevitable that it will need one, the VGT turbo's for these engines are expensive. Just something to keep in mind before diving in.

Very good info, thanks a bunch!! I didn't expect anyone to look up the VIN for me!!

The truck has about 710,000kms (440,000miles). I would like to replace a turbo before they go boom, much less work....

Bill