Largecar

vision386

Got looking at otherdogs post about boots and bikes, found an old picture of myself with the first real "largecar" i ever drove,(1979?) friend of my grandfathers had a driver quit right before a trip, the man was desperate to get his load of produce hauled, so pop "volunteered" me to take the load to the northern toronto produce market. I did'nt show it, but i was giddy! this was a 1977 KW - W900A, with a 3408 V-8 cat,14 speed spicer SST trans. 3.35 rears, at the time was putting out in the neighborhood of 750 horse to the rears! i went up the northeast extension of the PA turnpike pretty damn quick! this was the only truck i ever drove with a 120 MPH speedometer in it! well, this guy ran kind of a "fly by night" operation, he gave me 2 checks to buy fuel going and coming back (bounced) and $50.00 expense money, i ran the trip, reloaded a load of flour out of buffalo,NY headed back to jersey, after all was said and done, i think i cleared $85 or $90.00! but i still have and wear the boots i have on in the picture, been re-healed, re-soled about 4 times now! lessons learned about wanting to drive a FANCY truck LOL! probably better off in the long run,this thing was FAST!!!!!!!! young and in-expeienced, probly would'nt have lasted as long as i have so far!.............Mark

post-5836-097467600 1280543404_thumb.jpg

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

i stopped at beach,nd. wensday around 4pm, run the milage on nd.16 and 85. i was pretty shure you were talking about mt.16. nd.16 was 85 miles shorter than going over to hwy85,i had plenty of daylite left so i went nd.16 kinda winding ran in 10 and 11 gear all the way no towns or grade to speak of.

when i left williston,nd. i came down hwy85, after crossing the little missouri river at the top of the only hill in nd. they had removed about 3 or 4 miles of the hiway and was routing traffic off thru a feild and around, holy shit they had 2+ in. of rain the nite before, i have seen a lot but i aint seen no shit like that ever, trucks getting stuck other idiot trucks trying to go around the stuck trucks, a chineeze firedrill of epic porportion.

3 hrs later whith the trucks pulled out and the road rebuilt i travelled on.

it was well worth the wait to see super truckers that had never been on a soft jobsite.

i stopped at beach,nd. wensday around 4pm, run the milage on nd.16 and 85. i was pretty shure you were talking about mt.16. nd.16 was 85 miles shorter than going over to hwy85,i had plenty of daylite left so i went nd.16 kinda winding ran in 10 and 11 gear all the way no towns or grade to speak of.

when i left williston,nd. i came down hwy85, after crossing the little missouri river at the top of the only hill in nd. they had removed about 3 or 4 miles of the hiway and was routing traffic off thru a feild and around, holy shit they had 2+ in. of rain the nite before, i have seen a lot but i aint seen no shit like that ever, trucks getting stuck other idiot trucks trying to go around the stuck trucks, a chineeze firedrill of epic porportion.

3 hrs later whith the trucks pulled out and the road rebuilt i travelled on.

it was well worth the wait to see super truckers that had never been on a soft jobsite.

Yup thats what i meant, MT 16 is a TERRIBLE road!.........guess you made out ok then??????................Mark

Yup thats what i meant, MT 16 is a TERRIBLE road!.........guess you made out ok then??????................Mark

oh yea it mite be the first time i had this mack in the mud but not the first time ive been in the mud with a mack.lol

largecar, but a nice one! can get more for the truck right now then the price he paid back in the days!

Yeah, this was a real nice truck! had the nicest interior i've seen in a truck,. the diamond pleat V.I.T in blue. I only made one trip in it, coulda' been a regular job, but it did'nt pay shit! and a fancy truck does'nt put food on the table! LOL! i really liked the 14 speed trans. too, was nice to drive after i got the hang of it, never seen or driven another one since, it was WAY too much motor for me at the time too!.......Mark

Yeah, this was a real nice truck! had the nicest interior i've seen in a truck,. the diamond pleat V.I.T in blue. I only made one trip in it, coulda' been a regular job, but it did'nt pay shit! and a fancy truck does'nt put food on the table! LOL! i really liked the 14 speed trans. too, was nice to drive after i got the hang of it, never seen or driven another one since, it was WAY too much motor for me at the time too!.......Mark

never seen a 14 speed aahh

never seen a 14 speed aahh

I found a video on youtube that you can check out....look up "how to shift a 16 speed spicer" its very similar to a 14 speed, it is an australian guy, but you will get the idea how it works, little more complicated than a roadranger, but once you get the hang of it i really liked driving it, last 3 splits are on the high side of the trans.like a 13 speed, you just don't have to move the gearshift,just the split button.........Mark