1989 Dm690 With 300L

WAS WONDERING IF ALL PYRO'S ARE THE SAME . MY 300L HAS BEEN SETTING OFF THE KYSOR LATELY WHEN IT IS WARM. I HAVE BUMPED UP ON INJECTOR SIZE BUT D+W DIESEL SAID I WOULDNT REALLY NOTICE MUCH DIFFERENCE. THINK THE INJ. SIZE IS 359. ANY IDEAS

We the unwilling, Lead by the unqualified, are doing the impossible, for the ungrateful.

WAS WONDERING IF ALL PYRO'S ARE THE SAME . MY 300L HAS BEEN SETTING OFF THE KYSOR LATELY WHEN IT IS WARM. I HAVE BUMPED UP ON INJECTOR SIZE BUT D+W DIESEL SAID I WOULDNT REALLY NOTICE MUCH DIFFERENCE. THINK THE INJ. SIZE IS 359. ANY IDEAS

Am I not the only one that sees a problem here??? 359 is Peterbilt symbology. Man, having anything on a Mack that can be equated to a Pete is like having a HEX on your ass.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Am I not the only one that sees a problem here??? 359 is Peterbilt symbology. Man, having anything on a Mack that can be equated to a Pete is like having a HEX on your ass.

Rob

THAT MUST BE THE PROBLEM

We the unwilling, Lead by the unqualified, are doing the impossible, for the ungrateful.

THAT MUST BE THE PROBLEM

Always suspected you a reasonable man.

Actually pyrometers used in motor vehicles are of a type "K" thermocouple. They will use a wire that is coded red, and yellow, (two wires). The resolution of the gauge is not precise enough that you cannot take a pyrometer gauge from one truck and use it in another and have enough innaccuracy to be obvious. Thermocouple wiring is cut to near an exact length by the oem manufactures as to not allow for field adjustments by the end user(s). It is less expensive to market the assembly as a whole that way. If you use a five ft. length of type "K" thermocouple wire and run this from your actual thermocouple terminals to the terminals on the indicator, coiling the excess wire in about a four inch coil and securing to a part of the cab, or dash you will be fine.

I use various thermocouples daily for calibration of equipment. With the resolution provided by the pyrometers used in automotive applications, noticable innaccuracies would not be noted until about 200 ft. of wire was incorporated into the circuit. All wire has internal electrical resistance by nature. It is this resistance that causes different deflection of a meter circuit according to wire, or meter lead length. The manufacturers adjust their instruments for a calibrated length of meter leads and sell the complete package accordingly. Field adjustable pyrometers have a calibration resistor built in that is adjusted by an external tool against a calibrated heat source.

I'll shut up now as I don't want to give the impression I know anything about this. I prefer knowing nothing. It's easier that way.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

THAT MUST BE THE PROBLEM

I KNOW I NEED TO FIGURE THIS OUT CAUSE WHEN I LOAD THE EXC. ON THE TRAILER AND AN EXTRA BUCKET AND PULL HILLS THE KYSOR IS ON. MORE GEARS IN THE TRANNY WOULD HELP, BUT THAT ISNT IN THE PIC. JUST WANT TO MAKE SURE THAT MY EXH. TEMP DOESNT GET TO HIGH WHILE PULLIN THE HILL.

IF I CAN REMEMBER THE OLD INJECTORS ARE LISTED AS 358'S, THATS A PETE # ALSO :pat::pat::pat:

GG2

I KNOW I NEED TO FIGURE THIS OUT CAUSE WHEN I LOAD THE EXC. ON THE TRAILER AND AN EXTRA BUCKET AND PULL HILLS THE KYSOR IS ON. MORE GEARS IN THE TRANNY WOULD HELP, BUT THAT ISNT IN THE PIC. JUST WANT TO MAKE SURE THAT MY EXH. TEMP DOESNT GET TO HIGH WHILE PULLIN THE HILL.

IF I CAN REMEMBER THE OLD INJECTORS ARE LISTED AS 358'S, THATS A PETE # ALSO :pat::pat::pat:

GG2

If you don't have a pyrometer installed it certainly wouldn't hurt to install one. They are a useful tool and can be an engine saver.

Hmmmm, 358? Is that the number Pete used in their guarantee of making you walk, or was it 351?

I'm a little vague.

Rob