2004 Granite 460 Overheats

hello I have a 04 granite that will over heat and shut down going up a grade empty or loaded. I cleaned the radiator for debris so its getting airflow through the cooler. It has a mechanical fan that Is turning and the coolant is good. the truck has 300000 miles. thanks DG

hello I have a 04 granite that will over heat and shut down going up a grade empty or loaded. I cleaned the radiator for debris so its getting airflow through the cooler. It has a mechanical fan that Is turning and the coolant is good. the truck has 300000 miles. thanks DG

Check to see if it has a coolant screen on the lower rad hose it may be pluged!

THANKS I check ed the hose for a screen no screen. The transmission cooler is clean and the thermistat was checked and opens at 180. Today I am going to check the mixture of antifreeze to see if it is 50%?????????????????//

What type of fan clutch does it have? A air operated Horton or a electric viscus Bear. The Horton has of course a air line going to it and the Bear just has an electrical plug. With the key off you should not be able to turn the fan blade/Horton without slipping the belt. The Hortons do wear out often. The Bear has issues as well but when they go out they usually lock up solid. We have had issues with overheating with the Bear that we have not been able to figure out. At some higher RPM's the Bear will unlock to prevent fanclutch damage regardless of engine temp. Never seen a AI engine in a CV that didnt have a oil cooler inlet screen. It goes in the "Y" pipe at the oil cooler. Some CV's have trans oil coolers in the lower radiator pipe. Sometimes you have to remove it to get the "Y" pipe off to get to the screen. Also look between the Aftercooler and radiator to make sure it's not plugged restricting air flow.

What type of fan clutch does it have? A air operated Horton or a electric viscus Bear. The Horton has of course a air line going to it and the Bear just has an electrical plug. With the key off you should not be able to turn the fan blade/Horton without slipping the belt. The Hortons do wear out often. The Bear has issues as well but when they go out they usually lock up solid. We have had issues with overheating with the Bear that we have not been able to figure out. At some higher RPM's the Bear will unlock to prevent fanclutch damage regardless of engine temp. Never seen a AI engine in a CV that didnt have a oil cooler inlet screen. It goes in the "Y" pipe at the oil cooler. Some CV's have trans oil coolers in the lower radiator pipe. Sometimes you have to remove it to get the "Y" pipe off to get to the screen. Also look between the Aftercooler and radiator to make sure it's not plugged restricting air flow.

68 makes a good point the air fan is a good spot to look if a equiped.