B Doubles Usa

ducky698

Hi, I was at a freightliner dealer today here in Perth Western Australia, he was telling me that in the USA at the moment they are trialing B doubles. now I know there not talking about the 2 pups that get dragged around, he was talking about B doubles like here with a 10 or 12 pallet A trailer and a 22 pallet B trailer, there was also mention of the Argosy 110 going back into production there to hall them. does any one know anything about this?

Grant

Hi, I was at a freightliner dealer today here in Perth Western Australia, he was telling me that in the USA at the moment they are trialing B doubles. now I know there not talking about the 2 pups that get dragged around, he was talking about B doubles like here with a 10 or 12 pallet A trailer and a 22 pallet B trailer, there was also mention of the Argosy 110 going back into production there to hall them. does any one know anything about this?

Grant

That is news to me grant. I once stumbled upon a study made by a university out in the Midwest that made a convincing argument for using B doubles in the US as a more efficient method to haul freight. Doubt Freightliner would put the Argosy back into production but you never know, I for one wouldnt mind seeing more of them, they were good looking trucks. There are also a few Mercedes Actross 6x4 tractors running around, supposedly Daimler testing them for use here in the US as a more fuel efficient truck. Don't know much more.

-Thad

What America needs is less bull and more Bulldog!

That is news to me grant. I once stumbled upon a study made by a university out in the Midwest that made a convincing argument for using B doubles in the US as a more efficient method to haul freight. Doubt Freightliner would put the Argosy back into production but you never know, I for one wouldnt mind seeing more of them, they were good looking trucks. There are also a few Mercedes Actross 6x4 tractors running around, supposedly Daimler testing them for use here in the US as a more fuel efficient truck. Don't know much more.

Hi, he said it was going to be a totally new truck, and should be in production soon. a B double cuts the corner to much, the amount of road needed to get around a corner on the same side of the road is alot, a B Double would take out alot of cars there until people started realiseing what they need to do to make the turn. double roadtrains take less road to turn. how ever in saying that B doubles are easier to reverse. I hope they do bring them out there.

Grant

B doubles have been legal most everywhere in the US for a couple decades now. However, unlike Canada and Australia, there's no incentive in the former of heavier weight or longer length limits for using them. Thusly most US operators that run doubles use the "quick 'n dirty" A doubles setup. None the less, I've seen a few B doubles here in Minnesota, but usually these rigs are visitors from Canada.

B doubles have been legal most everywhere in the US for a couple decades now. However, unlike Canada and Australia, there's no incentive in the former of heavier weight or longer length limits for using them. Thusly most US operators that run doubles use the "quick 'n dirty" A doubles setup. None the less, I've seen a few B doubles here in Minnesota, but usually these rigs are visitors from Canada.

Hello, B Doubles like one pictured?

Grant

post-2194-084637700 1279372036_thumb.jpg

Not quite... in most cases we Yanks are limited to two trailers not longer than 28 and 1/2 feet long (about 8 and 1/2 meters). They don't include the extension of the first trailer to carry the 5th wheel in the measurement.

Hi, this vehicle pictured is what the dealer said was getting trialed in the USA now. and they were redoing the argosy for this purpose in the USA, I would say he was full of it as i have not found any info to back him up. in total these are 25 to 26 meters long.

Grant

have seen tandem 50+ footers on Floridas Turnpike. Lays potatoe chips(volume, no weight) also walgreens.

Most though are 28's

Success is only a stones throw away.................................................................for a Palestinian

have seen tandem 50+ footers on Floridas Turnpike. Lays potatoe chips(volume, no weight) also walgreens.

Most though are 28's

Hi, they do those out of Michigan to I think? from one section to another and straight road isnt it?

Grant

Hi, this vehicle pictured is what the dealer said was getting trialed in the USA now. and they were redoing the argosy for this purpose in the USA, I would say he was full of it as i have not found any info to back him up. in total these are 25 to 26 meters long.

Grant

I think Canada is running 26 meter B doubles. Very recently too.

-Thad

What America needs is less bull and more Bulldog!