Cam I Need One

QCDriver

Finally had my Jake tune up, to find out #1 lobe is wiped. So my question is what Mack cam can I have put in?

Mine is a E-7 etech 355/380. Could I gain anything with a 410 or 460 installed?

Thanks for your help.

The cam for those engines is the same. Mackpro68 and FJH have posted before about changing the key in the cam to advance the timing. Go back and look for their posts on the subject because if you're going to do it now would be the time. I think Mackpro also recommended a place called CAMCRAFT that regrinds and builds custom cams for less tahn a new OEM cam would cost. Make sure while it's apart that the valve rotators (if they are upper rotators) are checked for broken springs. The tiny coil springs inside the rotators fracture and break and eventually work down the pushrod holes in the cylinder head to the lifters and camshaft potentially causing lobe damage. Make sure they check all of the exhaust valve yoke adjusting screws to verify that none are worn below .940" (otherwise the guide pin in the head should be replaced). Have them replace these adjusting screws and update the jam nuts. The root problem here is usually the adjusting screws, which when worn cause valve yoke balance to degrade. This pitches the yoke over to the outboard side placing a bending load on the guide pin, which can fracture and break off, as well as the upper rotators. The uneven load on the rotator breaks the spring inside into very small pieces. Many times these appear on the drain plug as small "U" shaped pieces of wire about .030-.040" in diameter.

"Mebbe I'm too ugly and stupid to give up!"

Hey thanks for that info will print and take to Mack. I really sucks that in my area they say Mack is a Breed of there own,

no we can't help.(makes me laugh, respect the DOG)

The pin holding lifter broke causing we'll you know.

Also how can I tell if steel or ceramic lifters? BTW 2oo1 Jan, Date truck.

Hey thanks for that info will print and take to Mack. I really sucks that in my area they say Mack is a Breed of there own,

no we can't help.(makes me laugh, respect the DOG)

The pin holding lifter broke causing we'll you know.

Also how can I tell if steel or ceramic lifters? BTW 2oo1 Jan, Date truck.

I think it should have steel lifters installed from the factory but I'll have to check. Steel roller lifters look like steel (shiny metallic finish) while the ceramic lifters have a flat black appearance.

I think it should have steel lifters installed from the factory but I'll have to check. Steel roller lifters look like steel (shiny metallic finish) while the ceramic lifters have a flat black appearance.

Check the push tubes!I beleive if they have springs on em you got ceramic lifters!68 pro will have the particulars on a cam swap for 355/380 I believe there is alot to change for that jump !the cam key is just the tip of the berg!

Here is the estimate, does this look right?

[/quote

looks like their charging for the valve cover gaskets twice.We have been just replacing the failed lifters and cam as of late Is the cam kit nesesary ?And the labor seems high 2700 maybe!

750 to rebuild 2 jakes already off the engine to do a cam,? seems a tad rich! Their shop rate must be in outer space!

Get em to quote the hours!

I'd price around a bit ! If your able!

looks like their charging for the valve cover gaskets twice.We have been just replacing the failed lifters and cam as of late Is the cam kit nesesary ?And the labor seems high 2700 maybe!

750 to rebuild 2 jakes already off the engine to do a cam,? seems a tad rich! Their shop rate must be in outer space!

Get em to quote the hours!

I'd price around a bit ! If your able!

Sorry QC, when I looked at this earlier I thought it said $754.00 parts and labor for the engine brake. They want $754.00 just in labor? Installing the parts in the brake housings (which is what it looks like the second part of the quote is for) should take about 1 to 1 1/2 hours. Bring it to their attention and see what they'll do.

Sorry QC, when I looked at this earlier I thought it said $754.00 parts and labor for the engine brake. They want $754.00 just in labor? Installing the parts in the brake housings (which is what it looks like the second part of the quote is for) should take about 1 to 1 1/2 hours. Bring it to their attention and see what they'll do.

rhasler >The labour on the quote looks a little out to lunch don't cha think . 24 hours seems tops in my my mind for the whole job jakes included! Don't forget your probably dealing with a service writer who is looking at two seperate operations from a book or puter screen when they are actually combined jobs.

What is their shop rate !

rhasler >The labour on the quote looks a little out to lunch don't cha think . 24 hours seems tops in my my mind for the whole job jakes included! Don't forget your probably dealing with a service writer who is looking at two seperate operations from a book or puter screen when they are actually combined jobs.

What is their shop rate !

That's kind of what I thought, but I wasn't sure about their labor rate. It's hard to tell exactly what they are charging from the way the quote is put together. As far as the parts I think they gave a decent price on the cam but it looks like they made up for it with the labor for the engine brake.

Thanks ALL,

I'll p/u tomorrow,but 1 more question. They found An leaking EUP. price 550, put me over limit. Can these be rebut?

Any SAID I said install one but this all I have. Called back later only rose about 150.

So did I get a break on parts? Or do you thick it was patched rebuked etc.

Thanks for input!!!

Thanks ALL,

I'll p/u tomorrow,but 1 more question. They found An leaking EUP. price 550, put me over limit. Can these be rebut?

Any SAID I said install one but this all I have. Called back later only rose about 150.

Thanks for input!!!

I've never seen a fuel shop that rebuilt EUPs, but there probably are some out there that do. The EUP that they installed should be a Mack Reman pump. Make sure they replaced the EUP bolts and programmed the new cal code into the EECU.

I've never seen a fuel shop that rebuilt EUPs, but there probably are some out there that do. The EUP that they installed should be a Mack Reman pump. Make sure they replaced the EUP bolts and programmed the new cal code into the EECU.

yes it's a reman on #6. Oh btw way any numbers for my cores I kept?

Thanks ALL,

Thanks for input!!!

Sorry to many meds. I had a hard time reading my own BLAH. Meds can keep me up at nights almost if not worse then drinking. But Doctors orders for me,

yes it's a reman on #6. Oh btw way any numbers for my cores I kept?

What cores did you keep? If you kept the cam and lifters you would need to contact camcraft at http://camcraftcams.com and see if they will buy the core. I've never dealt with them, so I'm not sure on their policies. Hopefully they will buy it and help offset your costs. The part number for the cam will be matrix stamped on the nose of the cam, probably just the last four numbers and a letter, most likely it's a 454GC2190C or D

No cookie for you. :D

And yes cam and lifters. I took a breif look b4 I cut myself (Forgot how sharp) more were on their way out.

Possibly from fuel dilution. They are sharp. Did you already pick up the truck?

What cores did you keep? If you kept the cam and lifters you would need to contact camcraft at http://camcraftcams.com and see if they will buy the core. I've never dealt with them, so I'm not sure on their policies. Hopefully they will buy it and help offset your costs. The part number for the cam will be matrix stamped on the nose of the cam, probably just the last four numbers and a letter, most likely it's a 454GC2190C or D

Just left vmail, owner must be racing in Budds CreekMD or Capitol Raceway. Guess we'll see.

Just left vmail, owner must be racing in Budds CreekMD or Capitol Raceway. Guess we'll see.

I asked about key cam change. He said the main gain is in he ECM. But I need to buy Mack turbo injectors,,etc. Before Mack will release high hp service data pack. Does this sound TRUE? :angry:

I asked about key cam change. He said the main gain is in he ECM. But I need to buy Mack turbo injectors,,etc. Before Mack will release high hp service data pack. Does this sound TRUE? :angry:

Yes. Although the turbo's look the same there are some difference in them. The same goes for the injectors too. They have told me in the past that the truck must have a transmission oil cooler, heavier rear ends, etc. installed mainly to prevent premature failure of those components due to higher horsepower and torque output. Without having the proper turbo and injectors they can't verify how the engine will actually perform.

Possibly from fuel dilution. They are sharp. Did you already pick up the truck?

Yes picked up yesterday. The cost was $6935.10. Feels the same bobtailing. I get to find out

how good it is once I pull my first load, that I can't wait for. Suspended from work for now.