R Model Locks

i am trying to change the cylinder in my door locks and was trying to figure out how to get the cylinder out ive got the whole lock out of the door just trying to figure out how to toke it apart

You can usually purchase the three sets new from Mack less expensive that a locksmith will charge to rekey the cylinders. The stainless bezel must be removed and the barrel containing the pins will then slide out. A new bezel needs crimped on after the rekeying.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

You can usually purchase the three sets new from Mack less expensive that a locksmith will charge to rekey the cylinders. The stainless bezel must be removed and the barrel containing the pins will then slide out. A new bezel needs crimped on after the rekeying.

Rob

The easier way is to open the door and look on the side of the door just behind the handle. There is a little piece of metal about an inch tall the slides out. You'll have to use a pliers or small screwdriver to push it forward and pull out. When it slides out about an inch or so, the whole cylinder assembly will be free to pull out from the outside door skin. The cylinder will be attached to a 1/4" square peg that's about 3 or 4 inches long. That metal tab you pulled out from the side of the door will be free, too. To reinstall, be sure that the metal tab is flush against the inside of the outer door skin when you reinsert the new lock. It will take a bit of wiggling to get the 1/4" peg back into the mechanism. It's just a luck thing and may slip right in or it may take some wiggling. I find it helps if you keep a key in the cylinder when reinstalling.

I think both doors and the ignition cylinder kits are around $35 with 2 keys. If the truck is old, you may want to pick up a couple of those metal slides that hold the door cylinders in as well.

I hope you understand what I'm trying to describe. It should be a bit more clear when you actually see it in person.