Are These Fenders Original?

Since I saw the Cappello LJSWX at Macungie, I have been looking around at pictures of L series. I was browsing around found that Gerhart has an LJSW but ulike just about every L I have seen this one has fenders that appear to be from a B80. Are those the factory fenders?

Here is the link

-Thad

What America needs is less bull and more Bulldog!

Guest 45LMSWM

Since I saw the Cappello LJSWX at Macungie, I have been looking around at pictures of L series. I was browsing around found that Gerhart has an LJSW but ulike just about every L I have seen this one has fenders that appear to be from a B80. Are those the factory fenders?

Here is the link

Thaddeus,

The truck in the picture is indeed an LJSW, but everything forward of the cab has been extensively modified. The Cappello LJSWX that was at Macungie has been extensively modified as well, including what I am fairly positive is not the original frame. The Capello truck was formerly owned by Stanley Young up in Maine, the same guy who had the Mack Powered KB International at Macungie.

-John

Thaddeus,

The truck in the picture is indeed an LJSW, but everything forward of the cab has been extensively modified. The Cappello LJSWX that was at Macungie has been extensively modified as well, including what I am fairly positive is not the original frame. The Capello truck was formerly owned by Stanley Young up in Maine, the same guy who had the Mack Powered KB International at Macungie.

-John

John,

As always you come through with lots of great info. I figured that was not an original L and was modified. I also knew the Cappello truck was not original as the spokes looked too new and the front too high up. Either way it was one hell of a nice looking truck and an original LJSWX is what I would like to get my hands on. I have wanted an L model since I discovered an LFSW in great condition near me. The bad news is that LFSW (Pics in my gallery) might have been scrapped as the owner of the company (Taff Trucking) was arrested on federal charges relating to money (possibly racketeering, who knows). My source told me some or all of the trucks were confiscated and who knows what happened to them. They also had a B and C dumps as well. :(

Is the Gerhart LJSW missing the X at the end of the model # or was it omitted from the listing? does the X in the L # denote eXtra service like it does in the B model #'s?

Anyone know what all the letters in the L numbering mean?

-Thad

Guest 45LMSWM

Is the Gerhart LJSW missing the X at the end of the model # or was it omitted from the listing? does the X in the L # denote eXtra service like it does in the B model #'s?

Anyone know what all the letters in the L numbering mean?

Thaddeus,

The truck at Gerhart's is an LJSW, not an LJSWX. No omission, they built alot of them. Just a tandem axle LJ. The LJSWXs were heavier and had the cast radiator, not shelled.

I don't know the exact meaning of the "X" as Mack wanted it, but the "SW" stands for 6-wheeler. The W was dropped later and the B-series just used the "S" to denote 6-wheel chassis versus 4-wheel.

-John

Thaddeus,

The truck at Gerhart's is an LJSW, not an LJSWX. No omission, they built alot of them. Just a tandem axle LJ. The LJSWXs were heavier and had the cast radiator, not shelled.

I don't know the exact meaning of the "X" as Mack wanted it, but the "SW" stands for 6-wheeler. The W was dropped later and the B-series just used the "S" to denote 6-wheel chassis versus 4-wheel.

-John

Thanks again John. I really want an L now and the LJSWX is what I would like to have. A B8X is also a truck I would want, your boss's truck is perfect :D. Now I just need to keep saving money.

Oh and are the tires on those LJ's typically 22 or 24 inches?

-Thad

Guest 45LMSWM

Oh and are the tires on those LJ's typically 22 or 24 inches?

Most of the LJSWXs in this area would have had 11x24 or 12x24 rubber from the factory.

-John

Here is the link

Looks to me like B81 fenders, a B75 type radiator and a custom built hood.

"If You Can't Shift It Smoothly, You Shouldn't Be Driving It"

I have seen one or two pictures of similar Macks. One of them was in Texas and looked original. They could have been modified, but I wondered if the late model LJX models could have been built with the B80 type fenders, or if there were any B80 models built with the L cab - which was done on the B70 series models.

Edited by PZ 1